I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bonefish rod build - wire or ceramic; alum or graphite?
Posted by: Tony Dyer (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 23, 2010 09:15PM

I have not built any rods in 5 or so years and have lost all my bookmarks and past notes due to a dead hard drive. I'm planning to build myself a fly rod for bone fishing in the tropics. I have a Sage Xi2 8 wt on order, while waiting, I am debating both the guide and the reel seat options. Search results have turned up a lot of interesting bits but not the answers I'm looking for. This will be primarily a wadding rod where we're on the flats from 4 - 8 hours, think light, and expect the regularly excessive wind in the spring, hopefully absent in the summer.

Guides - what sort of performance difference is there between snake guides (single or double foot) and ceramic insert guides in terms of casting ease, distance, feel, wind load (this is not during casting but when just holding the rod and the wind want to blow it out of your hand), or any other aspect that you may have noted when casting? I am not particularly interested in the pros & cons of the different materials, I understand this and can make the trade off myself.

Reel seat - aluminum reel seats have proven themselves but I see some makers are using graphite, besides price and I assume weight, are there any advantages or benefits of using graphite?

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

Tony

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bonefish rod build - wire or ceramic; alum or graphite?
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 23, 2010 10:10PM

I fish for Bone fish at Christmas Island with and 8wt Sage on which I have single foot ceramic guides and an aluminum, reel seat. It has worked and held up very well. Don't know that either makes any difference when the wind blows!

Using single foot guides will help reduce weight due to half the number of wraps. I find that casting is close to the same with either guide set up.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 24, 2010 08:15AM

I don't think the guide type is going to affect how the wind attempts to "blow it out of your hand." Ceramics are quiet and smooth and will extend the life of your fly line. A good compromise are the Pacific Bay Minima guides which have a hard chrome plating and are among the very lightest guides ever made. They're sort of hard to come by right now, with Pacific Bay being backordered on some sizes for weeks. Of course, snake guides have worked for decades and will do so for many more.

The graphite/nylon seats have proven to be about the top when it comes to a lightweight seat which never rusts nor jams and which hold a reel more securely than about anything else.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 24, 2010 09:40AM

I would also suggest look at the American Tackle Titanium guides Titans and ring lock.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.240.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: May 24, 2010 07:36PM

Tangles in your line always seem to happen just as that first bonefish run occurs. Double foot snake guides are the most forgiving of small tangles. A couple of weeks ago my fishing buddy got a kink in his line and had a bone literally rip two single foot snake guides off his rod before his leader parted.

The extra two or three feet casting distance you MIGHT gain with ceramics, the extra sixteenth of an ounce you MIGHT save with single foot guides, the extra few fishing trips you MIGHT get out of your line with creamics - these doubtful benefits will disappear when inevitably a kink in your running line results in a lost bonefish - and you realize that kink might have passed through double foot snake guides

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.245.78.223.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: May 25, 2010 05:58PM

Tony,
I agree with Phil. For SW use the double foot titanium guides. Stronger and easier on the fly line under hard runs and big fights.

Eugene Moore

Posted by: Tony Dyer (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 26, 2010 11:36PM

Fellows,

Thank you for your comments.

Phil & Eugene - I particularly appreciate your point on the double footed snake guides as being more forgiving of line tangles, that was not something that I had given consideration. This may in part be a function of me not having caught any fish last trip, I spent the week fighting the wind.

Other Phil & Bill - After reading some of the recent postings, I was thinking of using the Ti lock rings, hum, I'll think on it a while. Either way, it will be titanium of some form.

Tom - I hear you sneering at me and my 'wind blown rod', that's ok, I would have thought the same until I had to endure it back in April. We delayed our March trip to Marsh Harbour until April when all of the March winds would have blown through (the 'goes out like a lamb part'). Naturally, the day we get there it starts blowing 25+ and last for 4 days. It was just one more thing to irritate me; as if my casting into the wind was not enough!

We're going back at the end of June so the wind should not be an issue. I'm not sure I will be able to get the new rod build but I just received an Albright GPX 7/8 reel to go with the new rod. That will at least make the trip and after using, I'll post comments.

Tony

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 27, 2010 11:38AM

Try up-lining the rod for faster line speed . This should help with cutting though the wind.

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster