I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Breaking in a Rod Right
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 22, 2010 06:45PM

Friday night,snagged some live bunker , Baited my new 1st time out GUSA rod with a new Avet reel. Didnt have a sinker handy so set the rod in the holder with the bait swimming on the surface 25 ft behind the boat. Returned to see a 39 inch Striped Bass slam the bait and then inhale the live bunker. Let her run a little and set the hook. Boated a 39 inch Striped Bass with in 5 mins of fishing the rod for the first time. Took a few pics with the phone and released her. Dont get much better than that!

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Breaking in a Rod Right
Posted by: Steve Zayas (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 22, 2010 07:18PM

Did the same thing the other nite with a seeker. Only live lined on a 3x3... back of j bay ny

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 22, 2010 10:44PM

Freddy; Did that with a allstar spinner I built,threw a clam out. 60# black Drum off the beach

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 22, 2010 10:57PM

Gonna try the same thing in 2 weeks at Islamorada for big tarpon on a Castaway SWA P-905. Titan Titanium guide train...see if we can get one to the boat that is 100# plus. 'Tis the season...

Posted by: Bill Burkett (---.prod-infinitum.com.mx)
Date: May 23, 2010 09:32AM

Can you share your technique for building in the luck? That's how they're all supposed to work - isn't it?

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 23, 2010 10:50AM

Freddy Wassup!

Wassa "bunker" 2 U Ynks ??

That is something we thought "she" hunkered down in when writing the Star Spangled Banner!

Posted by: billy broderick (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 23, 2010 12:34PM

Sorry Gary most of the 100 plus big ones already moved north of islmorada. You need to go north to get the big ones now. The good news the mahi are coming in. The tuna are in. And ofcourse the small tarpon bones and snook along with some big reds are in the back water. Gook luck

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 23, 2010 03:26PM

We had 200# tarpon at Canaveral 2 weeks ago. Didn't expect to see them.

Posted by: dave schaub (129.230.244.---)
Date: May 24, 2010 03:43PM

I got you all beat---3rd cast of my new St Crois 905.4 5wt, travel rod--caught a Greater Redhorse. Had no idea what that thing was but I caught it. Bill, I think it must be in the "Bunker" family because
no one knows what that is either!!! Good fishin.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 24, 2010 05:35PM

Dave if I can not get a proper response from de hunkered down Nerby one I will send him after a shoe pick! (Choupique)

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 24, 2010 08:57PM

I believe Menhaden is the other name they by. They are widely used food protein .

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster