I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

micro guides tape
Posted by: Mark Clooten (76.73.38.---)
Date: May 21, 2010 11:45AM

what is the best way to hold the micro guides for wrapping? My tape is to wide and even tearing in strips there is nothing to wrap on. can I use super glue in spots to hold the guides in place?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: micro guides tape
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: May 21, 2010 11:58AM

There is a glue I have heard of people using from Duco. Personally I don't use anything. I start my wrap a few turns, then with the next thread, I place the foot of the guide under it and continue wrapping a couple of turns to hold the guide. I then slight wiggle the guide, not pull on it and the guide foot works it's way under the thread. I do this with having only a few wraps of thread around the guide foot. Then I continue on wrapping the guide.

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 21, 2010 11:58AM

Flex Coat's guide foot adhesive is a much better choice than Super Glue. It's very easy to remove and re-apply a guide for adjustment with the FC product, where I think you'd have serious problems doing that using CA/Super Glue.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Mike Winkler (---.new.res.rr.com)
Date: May 21, 2010 12:54PM

I use small rubber bands.

Mike

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 21, 2010 01:04PM

Micro Guide Cable Ties.

Place all guides at correct spacing

Pull Tie Tight and Snip off Excess End

Install Reel and Verify Alignment Shift as Necessary

Tip In Place Facilitates Alignment With Reel In Place

Remove Reel and Place On Wrapper

Start Guide Wrap On Foot

When Required Stop With Guide Facing Down

Use Cuticle Knippeers to Cut Tie Band Next to Locking Hub

It Will Fly Off

Complete Wrap

Verify Final Alignment

When this is fully implemented you will be amazed a the speed and ease of use.

Look at tie wraps - not normally available at local hardware, discount or automotive centers.

Look at the bottom of page eight at the following link.

[www.swamplandtackle.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2010 01:09PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: woody osborne (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 21, 2010 02:22PM

i went to a hobby store(remote control airplanes) and got some 3/32" fuel line for about $2.50/yd. i slice it with scissors . seems to work fine. i would like to try the cable ties, too, though. i have used tape(adhesive) dots as well, from DUCO, i think.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 21, 2010 02:49PM

Woody there are a lot of ways to skin this cat!

We choose the cable ties because we are doing a lot of rods in a day - move them around several times during the process - and we feel it is necessary to develop a process that requies minimal movement or tuning after initial guide placement. We use a lot of tension and the Forhan restricts movement unless "guide cocking" occurs. Anything you can do to minimize guide movement after placement and prior to finish/adhesive application is beneficial.

Posted by: Cheng Moua (---.mycingular.net)
Date: May 21, 2010 03:09PM

Run out to the local pet store or aquarium fish store and pick up some airline tubing. They come in different id sizes. And it's only a couple bucks for 25ft of tubing

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 21, 2010 04:56PM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Here is a pic of my set up for adjusting and holding micro guides for placement and wrapping. What you see is a stainless steel thread burnishing/packing tool, a roll of 1/8" tubing that is similar to surgical tubing, and some of the tubing cut with scissors into little rubber bands lying on the penny. The thread tool has a 3mm batson micro guide being held onto it with one of the rubber bands doubled over. Use the tool to double over the bands to make them tight and slide the rubber band off the tool and directly onto the rod blank tip.

DR

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 21, 2010 08:01PM

I buy 1/4in wide tape from auto parts store, then using razor knife cut all the way around the roll one or two layers deep making 1/8' strips then peel them off at what ever lengths needed.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 22, 2010 08:58AM

I buy 1/8th inch wide tape from an auto supply store that does painting and it works very well to hold the guides in place.

All that you really need is enough room to get about 3 wraps on the guide foot and you will be able to pull the tape to finish the wrap.

Roger

Posted by: Stuart Klose (---.lns20.per1.internode.on.net)
Date: May 22, 2010 08:59AM

I wrap using 7 or 8 turns of C grade at the base of the guide (tape down the start of the foot) then remove tape and wrap as normal then cut off C grade when you get to it. Taping and bands didn't work for me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster