I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Squeaking with Recoil Guides?
Posted by: Paul Abbott (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: May 20, 2010 11:50PM

Has anyone ever noticed a sqeueaking sound when using recoil single foot guides? I have someone saying that they noticed it while casting on two different rods. Otherwise the rods cast just fine. I have not personally experienced this but thought I'd ask here.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Squeaking with Recoil Guides?
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 20, 2010 11:58PM

Most wire type guides will "sing" somewhat. Although I have not had that experience much myself, I have heard it mentioned many times and it's mostly from fly guys.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Walt Natzke (12.22.21.---)
Date: May 21, 2010 01:44AM

This is a known issue with the recoil guides, more prominent in the snake guides that the single-foot.

I built only one rod using them. The client returned it complaining of the noise and I replaced all the guides, no charge.
It's not worth my time to use them, no matter how great they perform, if the clients don't like the squeaking.

Walt Natzke
Ripon, CA

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 21, 2010 07:59AM

Paul,
I build with nothing but REC Recoil s/f HEAVY WIRE, running guides and tip-top.
Yes - they will sometime sing. But only when line is dry - and especially dirty. Otherwise it is really a non-event.
Herb

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: May 21, 2010 10:00AM

As Herb says, while I am practise casting and the line picks up dirt out on the lawn, the guides will start to sing. Once cleaned and out on the water, I do not hear that noise.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 21, 2010 10:03AM

I guess that is a good thing - the guides are telling you the line has to be cleaned ???

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.static.reverse.nodesdirect.net)
Date: May 21, 2010 10:14AM

Sometimes this squeeking noise is not the guide itself but the contact of the epoxy onto the guide leg or foot. Just something to be aware of.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.240.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: May 21, 2010 05:21PM

I have built and kept three flyrods with REC snake guides; two have ceramic insert stripping guides, one has REC "double loop" stripping guides. The rod with the REC 2-loop strippers "sings" a lot more than those with ceramic strippers. Keeping lines clean does reduce unwanted noise, along with other unwanted stuff.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.244.215.158.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: May 21, 2010 05:52PM

Very common complaint.
You might try a slightly stiffer line or a line with a stiffer coating.
Seems to be more prevalent with the softer lines and normally on the retrieve with a fish on.

Eugene Moore

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 21, 2010 06:36PM

If you are having a lot of come backs -- don't use them Simple

I only use single foot wire guides on very light fly rods - below 5 wt. All else have a ceramic guide on them

Food for thought ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Paul Abbott (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: May 22, 2010 07:42AM

Thanks for all the responses. I use SF ceramic guides on my own rods but use the recoils when someone just has to have the look of wire. This is certainly something to be aware of down the road.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster