I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Humidity/Epoxy
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: May 20, 2010 12:27PM

Not stirring things up... found this interesting given the long thread earlier. Here is documentation related directly to rod building epoxy concerning humidity:

[www.bdcepoxysystems.com]

"Before Mixing
Polymer should be mixed in a room where the humidity is under 50% and the temperature 75 F to 85 F when pouring. If humidity is over 50%, a dehumidifier should be used in the room where the pouring and curing is taking place."

It also mentions this under the "Curing" and troubleshooting sections. Why would they say this, but others dont? Formulation? I couldn't find anything on the website that said "why" humidity would be an issue.

Referring to the technical bulletins yields a wealth of info. Question is, why are technical bulletins so hard to come by for rod building epoxies? They tell you exactly what you need to do to work with that product and achieve optimum results.

-----------------
AD

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Humidity/Epoxy
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 20, 2010 01:07PM

The document you list is not from an epoxy manufacturer nor formulator. It's a resellers brochure, not a technical document.

Humidity will not affect your epoxy unless the temperature to dew point is such that you have condensation on your surface. The "oil slick" appearance is not a simple matter of humidity. Rod builders like to blame epoxy problems on the product or the environment (which is sometimes to blame, of course) but generally the culprit is the epoxier, not the epoxy. However, I'm big on following instructions so if you're using BD Classic Coat, I'd certainly follow their guidelines.

Ralph O'Quinn is working on some things for us to help rod builders understand the relationship of things like temperature and humidity on the common epoxies we use in our rod building endeavors. I hope to publish it soon.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 20, 2010 01:16PM

When it gets hot and muggy by me I just close all windows and turn the air on. Once the room is cool shut it off, wait, for any dust to lay down, then coat. Works for me.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (24.145.81.---)
Date: May 20, 2010 01:29PM

Regardless... I saw this and thought I would post. I guess that BD doesn't make Classic Coat is what you are saying. Learned something there - I thought they did.

It's a whole lot closer to a technical bulletin than available from anyone else... but I agree - it's not a true technical bulletin. Would be very nice to have those more readily available. It seems every other epoxy product out there has them available online - except rod building epoxies.

-----------------
AD

Date: May 20, 2010 01:41PM

No they don't. In fact, I'm pretty sure that U-40 is the only epoxy thread finish supplier that formulates their own product (although even they buy their base components from major chemical companies). This doesn't mean that the other products aren't as good - these folks have all been in business a long, long time and all make good products. If you ever wanted to question a company about any problems you've had with their products, you'd certainly want to be able to tell them that you followed their instructions, so I'd stick with the guidelines they offer when using their product.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: May 20, 2010 02:54PM

Bill you might want to be careful with that approach. If the temperature inside the room is considerably cooler than the outside air and warm outside air enters the room after the AC is shut off you can get condensation.

It has been said enough but for reasons beyond me some want to think humdity is the problem. It isn't but dewpoint is. Given that dewpoint is the temperature to which a given volume of air must be lowered to for water vapor to condense.....well you can see why lowering the temperature in your room (with the AC) and then allowing warm humid air to enter the cooler space could cause problems.

It would depend on the temperature and humidity differences between the two bodies of air as to rather or not there is going to be a problem. On a very humid day the dew point and ambient air temperature are very close and your room only needs to be a few degrees cooler.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 20, 2010 04:11PM

Working with finish epoxy is the same as it was working with clear Urethane in auto paint shop, I LOVED THE RAIN.

Over the years I've painted hundreds of cars, trucks, 45' trailers and everything in between, I no longer do such, but one thing stands in my mind for sure: every paint job done during a rainy day was always a touch better looking than other weather days, ALWAYS.

Same with rod thread finish for me, I love putting on finish when it wet and rainy, great results every time..... and during these rainy days the finish is just like the auto's: a touch better than other weather's.

DR

Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.webair.com)
Date: May 20, 2010 04:19PM

I mentioned the same thing the other day in the other thread on humidity. My best results have come when the rain is in full force outside. No dust, no pollen and no flying insects!

Date: May 20, 2010 04:54PM

I certainly agree. I've also applied epoxy on rainy days and gotten good results. My point is just that when you use a specific product, it's good to follow that maker's specific instructions if for no other reason than if you should have a problem, you'll have followed their instructions to the letter and they'll be much more apt to try and work with you on a solution.

Posted by: Christopher Tan (203.116.20.---)
Date: May 20, 2010 10:24PM

just curious ..

when you remove the old guides, does your rod finish 'peel off' or does it 'crack off'

i've been rebuilding some of my old custom rods and when i come to the rod finish, i can peel off (meaning it's pliable). whereas on factory rods, the finish seems to crack off

-
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day..
Teach a man to fish, he'll be broke!

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: May 21, 2010 12:42AM

Christopher, why don't you start a new topic with your question. You'll probably get more views and more answers to your question pertaining to that topic.

Lance

Date: May 21, 2010 07:29AM

Christopher,

Some commercially made rods utilize a UV cured type finish. Some of these continue to harden upon each subsequent exposure to any type UV light which means that over use and time they get harder and harder and harder. These are the ones that seem as if they shatter into pieces when you're trying to remove them.

Posted by: Christopher Tan (203.116.20.---)
Date: May 21, 2010 09:30PM

thanks Tom

Lance,

i wanted to start a new topic, but always thought what i've been noticing was due to humidity (as its always around 60%~ 90% over here).. turns out wrong anyway.. its more of "type of finish" issue.

--

Anyway, humidity levels should be a non issue as in my country, the humidity level is fairly high and the finish always cures nicely...

-
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day..
Teach a man to fish, he'll be broke!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster