I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question about paint under wraps
Posted by: Darren Kern (12.145.65.---)
Date: May 19, 2010 04:21PM

I am building a rod for my wife, and the thread colors are white and Kentucky blue. I am concerned about the white showing up ok, so I am considering using Krylon Fusion for plastic under the wraps and the decorative wrap I am doing. I have the guides placed and I plan to mark where I want my wraps to end, mask everything, and paint. My question is, will it be difficult to determine where to stop the wraps? Seems that either I will be able to see paint, or I will have to go a strand or two past the paint, and then the thread color will appear different. Maybe I'm over thinking this, but if someone could weigh in that has used this method, I'd appreciate it.

Darren Kern
aka "Hydrilla"
Elon, NC

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question about paint under wraps
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 19, 2010 06:33PM

Going :over: by a strand or two appears to me to be the best option, no paint showing and the "over thread" starts to blend more with the rod blank. If in doubt, do a test on the blank on thew portion that will eventually be under the grip or handle.

Posted by: John Repaci (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: May 19, 2010 07:49PM

Darren,
An option is to start & stop the wraps beyond the paint, and camouflage the transition with a trim wrap.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
John in Wethersfield, CT

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.200-68.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: May 19, 2010 09:00PM

I've used that technique and it works very well. I maintains the thread color and gives a translucent look rather than the flat look of color preserver. I use a dark thread at the transition, it tend to hide the edge. I have also hid the edge with a metalic trim wrap and indicated above.

Posted by: Bill Ballou (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: May 19, 2010 10:38PM

Have white for underwraps. As you have described use blue painters tape leaves a clean edge. Lite coats for smooth finish. Just a suggestion to put a coat of color preserver on white so when you pull thru at end it doesn't pull the paint off. I would do a test on scrap for practice. Start as close to end and finish as close as possible. Most times a small 3-4 tread trim band may be needed.

Posted by: Anthony Lee (---.218.186.10.236.maxonline.com.sg)
Date: May 19, 2010 10:58PM

When you do that, don't forget the guide feet also as they will show up under white or light colored thread.

Posted by: Darren Kern (12.145.65.---)
Date: May 24, 2010 02:32PM

Thanks for the great tips folks. I would've never thought about doing the guide feet as well, that's good stuff.

Posted by: John Repaci (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: May 24, 2010 03:01PM

Chrome or stainless guides will also show up under wraps, depending on the color. I've used nail polish, black, silver, any color that will hide under the wraps.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
John in Wethersfield, CT

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 24, 2010 03:47PM

I always under paint and have two or three wraps of thread over the paint It will not be that noticeable.

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster