I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

temperature and breakage
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.240.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: May 19, 2010 09:06PM

Some (usually high-end) fly rod blanks seem to become considerably more susceptable to breakage when they are used in sub-freezing weather. Does cold cause graphite to become more brittle? It's common practice, at least for me, to dip the rod tip in running water to remove ice build up in the guides. Could the graphite/matrix absorb water and freeze, making the blank more brittle? I can't see how water in any quantity could get inside the blank tube.
Has anyone else noticed that graphite rods become more vulnerable to breakage in sub-freezing weather?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: temperature and breakage
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 19, 2010 09:23PM

No, in fact, graphite is quite "happy" at very cold temperatures. If not, it wouldn't be a very good material to use on aircraft, which operate at sub-freezing temperatures on a constant basis.

The idea that carbon fiber becomes brittle at cold temperatures is just another myth.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: May 19, 2010 09:23PM

I have shattered two rods in freezing temps ... both times I didn't do a thing I don't normally do in respect to a hookset. After the second time, I started to believe that modern graphite rods MIGHT become more "brittle" (for lack of a better term) and more susceptible to breakage. However, those temps are so rare here in Tampa that I don't really have enough experience to be sure. Maybe some of our Alaska and Wisconsin builders will know for sure

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 19, 2010 09:36PM

Tom, what about the resins used? Are THEY less happy in sub-freezing temps?

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: May 19, 2010 09:39PM

Phil,
Carbon fiber actually maintains most of its properties at low temperatures as Tom points out. However, if you dip your rod into the water to melt ice from the guides or for whatever reason and there is a large difference between the temperature of the water and the temperature of the air the result will be a large temperature gradient over a small area of the rod and high stresses in that area as a result. These high stresses plus any additional stress that you add by deflecting the rod may well result in breakage.

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: May 19, 2010 11:41PM

Having been born and raised in Wisconsin, and living in Alaska for the past 23 years, I can assure you that sub-temps have nothing to do with rod breakage. Tom hit the ball outta the park....Temp has nothing to do with rod breakage...

I fish and bend my float rods HARD in 10 degree F temps with no failures what-so-ever. If your breaking rods at below O, it is pure irony.

And, there wouldn't be parts on the F-117 stealth if it were suseptibale to cold temps...

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: May 20, 2010 07:23AM

Cold plays no part. I know lots of guys will tell you it does, but they would be incorrect.

I've fished in -15° temps for Lake Trout thru the ice using braided line with rod made from an IMX tip section from a 2 power Spin Jig. It was cold enough that you couldn't drop a jig 100' without the line freezing in the hole. You had to constantly break ice by stepping in the hole.

And that's nothing compared to what aircraft go thru.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Date: May 20, 2010 08:28AM

The fact is, fishermen break rods and few believe themselves to be the culprit. So anything, be it a supposed defect or extremely cold temperatures, will get the blame when the worst happens.

Posted by: Cheng Moua (---.mycingular.net)
Date: May 20, 2010 08:57AM

I know that extremely high temps can be bad for graphite, but how about temps in a car? Let's say 80 degrees outside? Maybe around 100 degrees inside the car?

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 20, 2010 09:07AM

Cheng,

I doubt that 100 degress will harm a rod for short periods of time. I've actually fished in temps like that and had no issues, but I'm just one guy that's done it a few times so my results are hardly conclusive. I would think that any time a rod is left in heat and it is deflected, then the rod could take a set over a long period of time.

jeremy

Date: May 20, 2010 09:20AM

The opposite side of the coin is that extreme heat will break down the resin which binds the fibers into the matrix. But 100 degrees F isn't going to do it. You'd have to exceed 200F before that'll happen.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.240.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: May 20, 2010 04:33PM

The graphite fibers in a blank are bound by a polymer, I believe, and many polymers are known to be sensitive to temperature. The "jet fighter" analogy seems to be a red herring, unless the graphite/polymer matrix used in fish poles is identical to that used on supersonic aircraft? Emory's speculation about temperature gradient seems plausable, much more so than an IMX fighter jet.

I just read a report of the degredation of finish on SCV rods. My (anecdotal) experience confirms this fact, regardless of how successfully this finish has been in other applications. My own experience combined with several similar anecdotal accounts from experienced fly anglers will not allow me to dismiss as "imaginary" any correlation between fly rod blank failure and sub freezing temperatures.

Date: May 20, 2010 05:04PM

Most graphite prepegs used in fishing rod construction these days utilize a thermoplastic resin that isn't much affected by the type temperatures we'd be talking about here. Within the realm of temperatures most of us would ever experience during a real world fishing experience, it's really not an issue. A rod left in a hot attic or car trunk on a very hot day would be more at risk than one fished on a very cold day. But even then, modern graphite rods are pretty good about withstanding the temperature ranges the makers' expect the rods to be used in.

I can't argue about the St. Croix surface coatings. Great blanks but not very durable finishes. I believe they're working on tougher stuff now.

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: May 23, 2010 05:14PM

I think that fisherman tend to get clumsy in cold weather. I know I do. That leads to more broken rods.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster