I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Butt wrap before wrapping guides
Posted by: Armando Elizondo (---.sub-75-255-26.myvzw.com)
Date: May 19, 2010 04:04AM

Learning and curious. Butt wrap before guide wrap or the other way around, and why?

Thanks
Eli

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Butt wrap before wrapping guides
Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: May 19, 2010 06:13AM

Hello Armando

If you use a wonder weaver or some other weaving device they might be hard to do with the guides on, depending on butt guide placement and so on, I'm not sure about the dec wraps maybe Billy or one of the more experienced guys will chime in on that.

Good Question
Thanks
Bob

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: May 19, 2010 06:32AM

Doesn't matter. I tend to do a butt wrap first and work my way to the tip for wrapping my guides.

Posted by: Mike Winkler (---.samuelmanutech.com)
Date: May 19, 2010 07:07AM

I usually do my decorative wrap first. But I could be doing it wrong..

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 19, 2010 07:24AM

I put the guides on then see how much room I have for the wrap and rod info.

personal choice

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.mthoar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: May 19, 2010 08:18AM

I do the butt wrap last.
Sometimes the appearance of the wrapped guides will influence the butt wrap details.
We always wrap from the tip down on guide wraps.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 19, 2010 08:28AM

For Dec WRaps I prefer doing them before the guides are wrapped on, especially on conventional or casting set ups where the first guide is closer to the foregrip. Before I do the wrap I find where the guides will go, common sense right there as you need to know ho wmuch space you have before you start. Doing it after the guides are installed for me usually ends up with the guide in the way as I'm wrapping.

If I had a choice, I would do all my wraps on a bare blank. I get into Dec WRap mode, and I will do several of them in a short time period. THe key to doing this is installing a faux-grip that allows you to turn the blank without having your hand cramp up turning the bare blank. Once complete, put a full coat of finish on the wrap, instal handle, and possibly put one more coat over the top if you feel it's neccesary.

THere's no righ tor wrong way, jsut what you feel comfy doing

Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.reverse.lstn.net)
Date: May 19, 2010 11:10AM

Since this would seem to be something where there is no right or wrong answer, just do it whichever way you prefer.

Posted by: Armando Elizondo (---.sub-75-233-143.myvzw.com)
Date: May 19, 2010 12:44PM

Thank you guys for ur input, very good suggestions.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 19, 2010 12:59PM

Armando,
I start at the end of the rod where I am at when I finish placing the guides.
If I am at the tip, I do the tip first.
If I am at the butt of the rod I start at the butt of the rod.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.202-68.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: May 19, 2010 01:56PM

I tend to always end up just a little to the left of my wanted center, so I prefer to glue my reel seat and foregrip after the butt wrap. Common sense tells you teh guides are not on prior to this all happening. this way, my wraps are always centered where I want them rather than off just a hair like i seem to get if i glue everything up first.

I still think billy wraps backwards, but it works for him. Do what you find works best for you, and that's the best answer there is.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 19, 2010 03:11PM

Before any thing is glued on, I will check out the blank and when I know the top or O then I mark with a piece of tape and marker. One at tip top and one just in front of the seat or fore grip. Wrap guides from tip top to butt only cause as the blank gets thicker the same size guide wrap looks shorter so I add as I go down the blank.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Joe Willsen (---.isp.broadviewnet.net)
Date: May 20, 2010 10:17AM

I guess I am the only guy who does a butt wrap dead last. I don't want to handle the rod after the butt wrap is done and before it is epoxied. I am afraid I will get it dirty or, in the case of some open diamond wraps I do, knock it out of alignment.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster