I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

reel seat placement
Posted by: Kevin Bergeron (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: May 17, 2010 11:25PM

Is it fair to assume that a reel seat would be placed in the same location on a medium power fast blank as it would be on a medium light fast blank from the same manufacturer. If there is a different location, would it be more likely more forward or backward on the blank? Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: reel seat placement
Posted by: Tom Bittick (---.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: May 17, 2010 11:35PM

It basically just boils down to how long of a handle you like.

Posted by: Christopher Tan (203.116.20.---)
Date: May 18, 2010 05:47AM

i use the length of my handle to determine reel seat placement.. the rod butt would normally be 2 inches above the inside of my elbow.. will have to take into consideration the type of rod being built too i guess.. if it's a 6 or 7ft, i will use the above method as it will be for light luring.. whereas if i am building a 9ft or 12ft rod for the surf, my seat will be higher up for me to do a 2 handed cast

-
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day..
Teach a man to fish, he'll be broke!

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.202-68.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: May 18, 2010 09:35AM

Technique and/or personal preference for comfort.

I like my rear grips around 9-10", but I often build a redfish rod for a kayak fisherman who wants down to a 6" rear grip sometimes. The function of that is to give the angler more room to move the rod in very limited space. (I don't kayak fish, hence my longer grips)

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 18, 2010 10:31AM

The handle how long also depends on what type of fishing you will do. If you are going to pitch and the rod will be in front of you you will have to make the handle so it does not Rub your belly.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Kevin Bergeron (---.static.networktel.net)
Date: May 18, 2010 10:41AM

I usually build 6'6 rods with split grips. I use a two inch butt grip, a three inch grip behind the reel seat which I install with the threads on top and a 1.5 inch foregrip. The rods I make usually are medium light for trout, but I'm making a medium power redfish rod for myself.

Posted by: Steven Garvey (---.sonoco.com)
Date: May 18, 2010 12:47PM

Yes, assuming the blanks and rear grips are the same length.

On a 6'6" spin rod I typically use a 7" rear grip whether it is a medium, medium light or medium heavy action rod blank. Therefore the reel seat location is in the same on all because the rear grip is the same length.

However some guys may prefer an 8"' rear grip on the meduim heavy so in that case the reel seat location is pushed forward 1" closer to the tip.

As stated it all depends on the rear grip length used.
(i.e. I measured some 6'6" St. Croix SCII factory rods at a sporting goods store, they all had 7" rear grips whether med., med/lt. or med/hvy. action - reel seat in same location on all.)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster