I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Custom Rod warranty?
Posted by: Tony Woodruff (---.direcpc.com)
Date: May 17, 2010 10:01PM

I got to decide on claiming my first warranty, Is it worth going thru it or replace the tip?

Like to hear from fellow rod builders on this, I have alot of work in it and was wondering if its worth just keeping it and replace the rod tip instead of sending it back and hopefully get the rod replaced, I know that I'd have to get new hardware and my stickers and such. I just never have claimed a warranty before and don't know how well it goes.

Its a MHX MAGBASS 6.6 rod that i got back in Feb, so its not a high dollar one to some, but I paid $40 for it. Been a good one up to this point, I never had a tip snapp on me? I had a hit and set the hook, and wham, What a wierd sound!

it broke right behind the wrap/finish of the micro tip

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2010 05:11PM by Tony Woodruff.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Custom Rod warrany?
Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.ontariopowergeneration.com)
Date: May 17, 2010 11:26PM

So you broke off a 1/2" off of the rod. I think I would being putting on a new tip as the 1/2" is not going to make very much difference. While the work and cost of rebuilding would out weigh the advantage of that 1/2"

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: Mark Wendler (---.qtrailer.com)
Date: May 18, 2010 09:25AM

I have also had an MHX MB843 blank break right on the wrap of the first guide after the tip. It happened on the first hook set, but unlike yours, I didn't hear a sound when it happened. It was only my 3rd build, so I'm going to chalk this one up to some error on my part in the build process. So to confirm this, I'm sending pictures, of the breakage, to Todd at Mudhole today.

Personally, I lost 4" off the end of a 7' MH rod. But, I'm going to re-tip and use it like it is. I may be wrong, but I believe that instead of a Fast Tip rod, I will now have a shorter Xtra-Fast Tip rod. (hopefully good for fineness jigs. Lol) It's just not worth throwing away all the work, not to mention the seat & grip, just to get reimbursed for the cost of the blank.

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.202-68.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: May 18, 2010 09:30AM

Mark, your rod will be a good bit slower now. Might even be a good cranking rod now.

Date: May 18, 2010 09:46AM

Sean

You would be correct, I got my thinking turned around. "Old Timers" setting in! Lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2010 09:47AM by Mark Wendler.

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 18, 2010 12:38PM

Just curious here: how far down the blanks did the break extend? Or were they clean breaks?

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 18, 2010 12:51PM

OK, I was about to order an MHX blank. Is there a problem here?

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: May 18, 2010 02:32PM

I have built on a few of the MHX blanks and I love em.

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Date: May 18, 2010 02:46PM

I am still a believer in the MHX series. I'm ordering 4 more blanks this week. I believe that I may have caused my breakage. Jury is still out on that one.

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 18, 2010 03:07PM

I have built a bunch of rods on the MHX series. No problems at all. But I am curious as to what the break looks like. Clean? Extending down the blank?

Date: May 18, 2010 03:22PM

Gary Henderson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have built a bunch of rods on the MHX series.
> No problems at all. But I am curious as to what
> the break looks like. Clean? Extending down the
> blank?

Mine was clean on the top side and a 1/32" extension on the bottom side. I've been told that It looks like i might have had my wrap too tight.

Date: May 18, 2010 04:35PM

it looks like an inch is what i lost on the tip.

As for MHX blanks I would buy another, IMHO they are great. Theres nothing wrong with them Bob R. im just asking if its worth fixing or replacing cause im not sure?

With losing a Inch, how much would that change the rod, I used it for throwing plastics?

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 18, 2010 04:47PM

Thanks. You had me scared there for a minute. Reports of three rods breaking on a topic that was not even a complaint thread was a little disconcerting. I'll be ordering an SJ843-2-MHX later today. Anyone had any experience with their 2 piece rods?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2010 04:50PM by Bob Riggins.

Date: May 18, 2010 05:10PM

I see two rods not three on this subject?

Gary H. its not a clean break and its not splintered, it looks to me like a explosion?

You think its a build issue?

Again, MHX Blanks are Just Fine, nothing to see here. Just a fellow builder wondering if he should fix it and move on.

Re: Custom Rod warranty?
Date: May 18, 2010 06:09PM

Agree Tony, MHX blanks are great.

Sorry if I started a feeding frenzy......just wanted to empathize & explain my decision for the same situation. I think that you would be money ahead by re-tipping & fishing the rod. (as I will be doing)

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.200-68.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: May 18, 2010 06:28PM

I read Mark's reply as talking about two different rods. On rereading it, I see it was a reference to the same rod twice. I didn't intend to start anything and it is becoming obvious that there is, in fact, no problem. So, everyone, go out and buy an MHX blank! Please, before I get strung up.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (24.145.81.---)
Date: May 18, 2010 09:10PM

Why is it a sin to say a rod broke? If it broke, it's a fact.

If 100 people chime in the same rod broke - well thats good - maybe we all need to know. Maybe the manfacturer needs to know. If we all stood back and said "probably something I did" they would never know there was an issue. Check your feelings at the door and stop worrying someone is gonna get upset. Somehow it broke. Again, that's a provable fact.

Anyone trying using the RodMaker article to ID the cause?

I broke an MHX MB843. It happens. First rod I ever broke, but it can happen.

-----------------
AD

Date: May 18, 2010 11:20PM

Alex where's this article? I would love to learn more on the apperance of breaks. Like I said this to me looks like a explosion?

By the way, its a MB782 and I have another, I bought 2, the others my son's and if the same happens to it I'll let ya guys know, Untill then all is well and Sean & Mark convinced me its worth it to salvage it.

I need to match up a tip to my #4 micros and I do have a 4.0 micro tip, but im sure I'll need to split it for fit, so Im gonna think about that before I decide

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: May 19, 2010 09:44AM

Don't remember the issue, but it was pretty in depth regarding rod breakage, causes, etc. Great pics.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 19, 2010 09:55AM

I believe it is # 12-6

Bill - willierods.com

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster