I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tiger wrap help
Posted by: Mike Emerick (---.sdcoe.net)
Date: May 17, 2010 10:55AM

Hi all I'm doing my first tiger wrap. I used A thread and when I started to burnish the thread wouldn't do the funky stuff. It just moved and exposed the blank. Is that what is supposed to happen. Did I wrap too loose or too tight? Are you supposed to see the movement in the thread or do you wait and see. Any help would be great. I did read the article from the library.
Thanks
Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tiger wrap help
Posted by: Roger Rierson (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: May 17, 2010 11:51AM

My first did the same as you, so i tried a little more tension and it turned out good.

Posted by: Cheng Moua (---.mycingular.net)
Date: May 17, 2010 11:52AM

You have to be a little more specific. The holo tiger wrap consists of an underwrap with 2 or more threads wrapped together(side by side) and an overwrap with a sacrificial thread. Easiest is with 2 threads for the underwrap. Wrap them side by side being careful not to overlap the threads. Wrap them tight enouh but not too tight. Once you finish the section that you want as the holo wrap, tie it off. Pack it and burnish it up. You are not going to see any effect at this point. Put on a coat or 2 or 3 of finish on it and let it dry. Once dry, pick out a color thread that suits your fancy along with another color thread that you don't mind stripping off and tossing(for me it's black or white). Wrap over the underwrap going in the OPPOSITE direction(if your underwrap started from rit and ended left, start your over wrap left goin right). Remember to wrap both threads side by side-Do not cross threads. Once finished with the overwrap. Slowly peel off the sacrificial thread. You should see the effect immediately. If you don't, your colors probably blended too much-you want colors that contrast with one another. Sorry this post this post didn't go into too much detail(I'm at work and I posted this using my phone). Hopefullyyou get the idea...good luck!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 17, 2010 02:24PM

Your answer can be found here: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Mike Emerick (---.sdcoe.net)
Date: May 17, 2010 03:00PM

I read it and followed the directions. I did wrap 2 colors side by side. When I burnished the thread idin't seem to move. When I applied more pressure to move them they moved and exposed the blank. How do you know if you got stripes? Shouldn't you see the thread move in that direction(of burnishing) I don't want to coat yet incase I have to redo the under wrap. Also what colors are dominant in the wrap? Is it the 2 underwrap colors or the 1 overwrap color.

Date: May 17, 2010 03:44PM

Brighter colored underwrap thread and the top wrap will be the dominate colors

Date: May 17, 2010 03:49PM

Also, the thread doesn't have to move that much to get a nice effect...the best effects come from the number coats of finish that you apply between the wraps-the more coats applied, the more depth you get-remember the more coats of finish you apply, the heavier the finished product will weigh

Date: May 17, 2010 04:16PM

Mike,

The trick is to have the wrap packed against itself, but to use very little tension. This way, when you do your burnishing, the threads will move and swap but you won't wind up with gaps. Try it with a lot less tension but do get the thread packed against itself well. I think you'll find this will fix things for you.

Posted by: Bill Jovanovski (---.bfcz1.lon.bigpond.net.au)
Date: May 18, 2010 04:23AM

Sound to me like you have only done one layer. You should see a slight effect after wrapping the first layer but you wont see the full effect until you have wrapped the second wrap over the frst epoxied layer. Once you started to remove the scraficial thread ( being any colour), you will immediately will see the tiger effect even if you havent epoxied the second layer.

I agree, brighter colours work well for first layer. ie black and yellow or blue and white. I find that darker colours for the first layer doesnt do the tiger wrap any justice. I just did a red and black bottom layer it didnt come up as well as ligh Blue and Black. Still had the effect but wasnt as bright.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2010 04:34AM by bill jov.

Date: May 18, 2010 08:54AM

I did a garnet ncp with black and it turned out ugly...looked maroon...I just finished up one with gudebrod metallic red and Electra black as the underwrap with fish hawk varigated thunder as the overwrap-no cp...Looks awesome in the sun! And it completely matches my reel!

Posted by: Mike Emerick (---.mobile.mymmode.com)
Date: May 19, 2010 10:07PM

When I burnish are the threads supposed to roll on top of each other or did I not have enough tension
not all threads are rolling just some

Date: May 20, 2010 01:08PM

They shouldn't roll on top of each other. Use a little more tension or roll less aggressively.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster