I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Minima Guide Performance on Spinning Rods
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: May 17, 2010 10:13AM

Just wondering if many of you have had a chance to fish spinning rods with the Minima guides, and how you like them on the water?

Thanks,

Marc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Minima Guide Performance on Spinning Rods
Posted by: Paul Lindsey (---.dsl.okcyok.swbell.net)
Date: May 17, 2010 11:39AM

i built a 6" ultra lite for a customer and used 5 4s to finish the rod. He says it casts great and the guides don' hurt at all.

Paul@soonercustomrod.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 17, 2010 12:10PM

Marc,
I just finished another spinning rod with minima guides this week. It works wonderfully well, looks great and fishes even beter.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: May 17, 2010 01:21PM

They work very well. I used the high frame M series for transitions and then the #4 fly guides for running guides.

Posted by: Jason Cosby (---.wood.army.mil)
Date: May 17, 2010 01:41PM

They work great and are a lot tougher than they look, which is a pleasant surprise. You can't beat the price either.

Jason Cosby
Cos Rods

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 17, 2010 11:00PM

Marc,
Carefully check the minima guides that you want to purchase.
Also very carefully check the construction notes for each of the mima guides and their differences.

If you have not used these guides before, you might purchase one guide of each type that pac bay makes in a sice you want to consider using,

Now, use high powered magnification to carefully check how each guide looks when magnified.

Based on your research, on the Pac Bay marketing information and your optical examination, use the guide that works best to meet your needs.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Jay Weissler (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 18, 2010 08:53AM

Are you guys using them with braid or mono? do you like them with braid? thx Jay

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 18, 2010 12:07PM

Minima 4

Minima 3

Both these guides are like Roger stated.....they are DESIGNED DIFFERENTLY.

The 3 has an edge on the outside of one side of the ring that is rather sharp. I wouldn't use these on anything, but that's just me. Something about a sharp edge and fishing line just never made much sense to me. The edge is on the incoming side of the guide rings.

DR

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 18, 2010 12:27PM

Under tension, the line could never get against that edge. But for me, that fact that the 3's are single swaged versus the 4's double swaged rings, is enough reason to stick with the 4's. The only downside is you don't have the multitude of color combinations in the 4's. But I never worry much about guide color - that's why we have so many colors of thread.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 18, 2010 03:49PM

I'm not so sure about that point Tom, you may be correct..... but with braids, a BIG hard fighting fish, and a twisted rod....it would be darn close to rubbing the edge of the single swag. Wouldn't take much for that edge to rub braid ragged.

If I was interested in using Minima's, like stated : the double swag is enough reason to stick to the 4's

DR

Posted by: Jason Cosby (---.sub-75-253-115.myvzw.com)
Date: May 18, 2010 07:06PM

I expected that 3's were on the way out, but I can see where it would important to check. My comments only apply to 4's, as that's all I've used. I think the M's are fantastic for braid. They allow you to get the needed height in a smaller ring. The verdict is still out as to how they'll wear over the years, but so far so good. We do know that they don't groove right away, as they have been out for a little while with no known issues. They're also harder to bend than just about any single foot I've encountered.

Jason Cosby
Cos Rods

Posted by: Richard Cake (---.plus.com)
Date: May 23, 2010 07:58AM

Had no problems with them so far.
I have been using them on UK plugging & Lure rods for about a year now.
Saltwater wise, I just make sure my customers wash the guides down after use. The lip of the frame can have a tendency to catch all the saltwater diposites if not washed.
Use with braid has been good and the extra savings on weight at the tip have kept the blanks actions perfectly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster