I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New rod breakage!
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 16, 2010 11:44AM

A recent post discussed issues with specific new rods breaking.
This brings up the point of being sure to give your new blank and rod building canditate a very good flex before starting to build on the blank.

Of course, you don't want to flex the new blanks to such extremes that you either break or damage the ruds due to unusual or unwarranted flexing. But, it is certainly a good idea to give the new blank a good flex that will be at least as great as one would normally expect the rod to experience during it useful life.

It is much better to give the rod a good flex in the work shop and have it shatter in a thousand pieces before you spend any time working on the blank, rather than have the new client take out the newly finished rod and have it shatter on the first hook set.

Really a good way to get a very unhappy customer.

Flex new blanks first and test for soundness before spending ANY time builoding on the blank. If the rod blank breaks during intiial tests. so be it, and replace it. Better to break ti before any work is done and any reputation damage is done as a result of a client breaking a new rod on a routine fish or hook set.

Take care
REW

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New rod breakage!
Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: May 16, 2010 12:17PM

And while it's in the test jig - measure the weight to flex it and check the tip angle. ;)

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 16, 2010 02:16PM

I have never had a problem with blanks from the company in question. I wonder if it was more a negative advertizing slam.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.ka.centurytel.net)
Date: May 16, 2010 04:38PM

This is a double post!!!!!I have never experienced that kind of breakage from Lamiglas rod. I always check my blanks before I start work on them. I look for scratches, bruising, I always stress test and flex. Any thing can cause a rod to break.Most breakage come from transporting them. Putting a rod in a gun rack behind the back seat of your truck, how you store your rods in a boat . Leaving them to whip in the wind as you rush to your favorite honey hole, dropping a rod or hook nicking. All these things I mention will cause a rod to break. Maybe not right away, but they will fail at some time

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Barry Kneller (---.)
Date: May 16, 2010 08:59PM

I believe the admonition was simply to give your blanks a good once over before building on them. Better to spot a flaw before you build than after.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 17, 2010 09:42AM

There is a huge difference in a properly done "instaneous stress test" and a "good going over". A good going over will locate a visible or measurable variance that may or may not cause a structural failure. If custom rodbuilders ever witness a structural test done by a qualified person or device most would never try to duplicate.

There are old threads on this forum about the "Allstar Goddess" and her ability to touch a tip to a butt while adorned with her safety equipment.

If you attempt to perform a dynamic load test on any blank hopefully you will bother to get some background information.

Take a look at this:

Not the normal vendor warranty position.

[www.swamplandtackle.com]

Who backs warranty?

A dynamic load test is performed, by Castaway in Montgomery, Texas, on all XP3 blanks sold to custom builders, prior to transfer to Swampland.

Date: May 17, 2010 12:02PM

Question! Was the breakage near any of the guide feet? Poor guide preparation can cause a rod to fail.

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 17, 2010 02:27PM

Bob this thread involves blank testing prior to build on new blanks.

Here is a link to the past!

[rodbuilding.org]

Date: May 18, 2010 04:01AM

Bill I just threw that in. It may help a newbie

Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster