I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Label-Rush Job
Posted by: John Repaci (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: May 15, 2010 05:51PM

Printer- HP PhotoSmart D7160
Paper- Papilio Waterslide IAS8511KK

One hour after printing, I spray with either: Krylon Crystal Clear or Workable Fixatif
15 mins later, 2nd coat
Rod will be prepped with distilled white vinegar before application.
How long to dry before application to rod?? I've sometimes applied too soon, and smeared ink.

All help is appreciated.
Thanks

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
John in Wethersfield, CT

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Label-Rush Job
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 15, 2010 08:04PM

Never used vinegar myself. No need for it IMHO

White or clear background water-slide paper?

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: May 15, 2010 08:09PM

Hi, Raymond,
Clear background.
I think the vinegar allows me to move and locate the decal easier.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
John in Wethersfield, CT

Date: May 15, 2010 08:21PM

Just use water or Micro-Set solution on the blank when laying down the decal.

I don't know the color in the decal or the color of your blank but I've not had any luck printing decals with my HP printer on clear water then putting it on a dark blank. The decals always look great once printed but the ink isn't very opaque and once removed from the backing all I see is clear media. Especially on a dark blank & light color inks.

Raymond Adams

Date: May 15, 2010 08:47PM

Decal is red ink on clear; I have a Fishhawk silver metallic "A" as an u'wrap with two thin coats of Flex Coat before application of label.
I always get a good application of label EXCEPT when I'm in a rush to finish. I've got one decal on OK.
I just printed another different label; I'm trying to push the timing to complete project.

John in Wethersfield, CT

Date: May 15, 2010 09:17PM

Then IMHO as soon as your fix-a-tif is dry & ink is protected from the water your good to go.

Raymond Adams

Posted by: Phil Brenner (---.sub-97-46-83.myvzw.com)
Date: May 15, 2010 11:28PM

I have had good luck with metallic underwrap and just a coat of cp. Then apply decal. It won't save you time this time but on the next rod it will at least eliminate the finish before the label. I only use water also to get label on rod

Date: May 16, 2010 11:01AM

Sunday morning, no problem; ink and Krylon dry. I use lukewarm water to wet decal(6-8 seconds).
Yesterday, by the time I got to the third decal did the water cool enough to affect the ability to slide decal for positioning?
The clear paper would rip rather than slide. Would that make a difference?
Today I used plain water to wet the rod and the decal was a little more difficult to slide, but I was successful.
Thanks to all for your help

John in Wethersfield, CT

Posted by: Barry Kneller (---.)
Date: May 16, 2010 08:57PM

Please advise what the vinegar is for. Thank you.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 20, 2010 05:06PM

Because the correct product used to place water slides, Micro Set, smells like vinegar to those who use the correct stuff.

It uses dilute solutions of glacial acetic acid to properly buffer the anionic surfactant contained therein.

Internet Forums tend to spread the word "It must be Vinegar" and many go to work to save a buck!

You of all people should know this!

Add a few drops of vinegar to 1/2 int of water and add two drops of liquid dishwasher detergent and save on shipping to South Africa.

Now I am amused.

Have a nice day!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster