I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

reel seat repair/gluing question
Posted by: Mike Ediger (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: May 15, 2010 12:17AM

Greetings,
I have a fly rod reel seat in which the butt end has come off. I am repairing this for a buddy and he wants it for this Sunday or Monday. My rod bond is solid (guess I don't use that much) so I am left with thread master epoxy or Elmers household cement. Will thread master hold strong enough, should I use the elmers, or do I tell my buddy to give me a few more days and do it right by getting some more rod bond.
Thanks for your help.
Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: reel seat repair/gluing question
Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.245.72.250.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: May 15, 2010 12:45AM

If the only problem is that your Rod Bond has crystallized, there is no problem. It will work just fine. Mix it up as usual.

Haven't used TM epoxy, but can't imagine that it is inferior to anything.

Haven't used that particular Elmers product and haven't heard of any reports of it's abilities one way or the other.

Posted by: stan mclean (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: May 15, 2010 12:49AM

Throw the rod bond in the microwave for 10 seconds bursts, keep doing it until it becomes a gel again.
No problem.
Good luck.

Stan

Date: May 15, 2010 02:20AM

Cool, I will give the rod bond a few blasts in the micro and give it a go.
Thanks,

Posted by: Phil Brenner (---.sub-97-154-89.myvzw.com)
Date: May 15, 2010 05:16AM

ir that doesn't work run down to the hardware store and buy some 5 min epoxy. Will work just fine

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 15, 2010 07:31AM

Gentle heating of the RodBond will return it to like new condition.

Posted by: Bill Davis (---.dr02.atmr.al.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 15, 2010 12:51PM

Can you remove EVA grips the same way?

Thanks

Date: May 15, 2010 01:51PM

Thanks for the replies. I did warm it up a bit and it worked fine. It was my first experience with rod bond and I just didn't expect it to be that solid. But heated it up a bit, used a cooking TBS spoon to measure, and it worked fine. Seems pretty solid today. So all is well.
Thanks again.
Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2010 07:16PM by Mike Ediger.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 16, 2010 08:26AM

There is a better way to remove EVA. We covered it in a past issue of RodMaker. The name of the person who cooked it up escapes me at the moment.

Take some heavy gloves and get some heavy braided fishing line. Draw the line down the EVA from tip to butt, working it close to the blank, and the EVA will be shaved off fairly cleanly right next to the blank. Just 3 or 4 passed on different axis will usually remove all but a trace of the EVA.

Posted by: Bill Davis (---.dr02.atmr.al.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 16, 2010 10:56AM

Thanks Tom.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster