I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Where is the spine on this blank?!
Posted by: Jonathan Colt (108.25.147.---)
Date: May 13, 2010 08:25PM

Ok......I haven't totally lost my mind, yet. And this isn't my first build either. But I swear, when I roll this blank between my palms, it 'pops' TWICE! I know it's 'popping' twice because I can see the strip of tape at the butt. How is that possible. Does it have more than one spine? The blank is American Tackle AMMBC843 Green Matrix. It's 84 inches. I'm going to make it into a casting rod. In fact I used the same model blank a few years ago for a build and there was only one spine/pop. What's up and what can I do?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Where is the spine on this blank?!
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 13, 2010 08:51PM

Yes it can have two spines. As the prepeg flag is wrapped on a spiral it often results in two places that are stiffer than the rest of the blank. Many rod builders ( I'm included) ignore any spine and wrap guides on the straightest axis.

Posted by: Phil Brenner (---.sub-97-155-153.myvzw.com)
Date: May 13, 2010 09:09PM

I'm just a hobby builder but in the last 25-30 rods I've built I haven't even checked for spine. Just put the guides on the straightest axis. I promise it will fish fine.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 13, 2010 09:17PM

There are at least 6 or 7 manufacturing anomalies that create the spine effect (rod spine isn't a physical thing - it's an effect).

Most build on the straightest axis as spine has nothing to do with rod twist nor casting accuracy, but if you wish to find the spine and build on it, you can simply choose the axis which exhibits the strongest effect.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: May 13, 2010 09:42PM

I feel that the spineing of a rod was probably more critical when using the old fiberglass blanks. With all the new technology on creating todays blanks. I think it has basically gone by the wayside. I do spine some that show a prominent side, but the majority are not . I feel it is totally up to the builder on what they prefer. Thus said, if you want to, do it, if not, don't.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.245.72.112.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: May 13, 2010 11:25PM

Spine, shlime. Build on the straight axis. If all things are equal, go with your gut.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 14, 2010 06:30AM

I've been spining golf club shafts for twenty years. There may be no relationship between spine alignment and fishing rod performance, but don't tell a PGA pro that there is no relationship between spine alignment and golf club performance.

Posted by: Timothy Johnson (---.177.23.121.adsl.snet.net)
Date: May 14, 2010 08:03AM

It also may be the reinforcement they put on the butt section, the graphite/aluminum twill material or whatever it is called. That may have it's own spine.

I've gone back and forth with spine. Used to check the spine, then got away from it, now I do a quick spine check on some rods and still haven't noticed a difference in fishing spine vs off spine.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 14, 2010 02:30PM

A golf club and a fishing rod are not the same thing nor do they perform the same function.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 14, 2010 02:46PM

Next time I get a new blank I will try to hit a golf ball 250 yards LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: May 14, 2010 08:20PM

I'd rather see how far you can cast that golf club

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 26, 2010 06:51PM

Please explain , how do you find the straight axis? I've been trying to find the spine on my rod blank, i think also mine has 2 spines, lol! kind of frustrating, I would like to know about the staight axis thing, sounds a lot easier! Thank You!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster