I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

My Epoxy Ramps - Part Deux
Posted by: Tony Wilson (---.cinci.res.rr.com)
Date: May 11, 2010 07:35PM

Ok, first attempt at epoxy ramps with 10 minute Rod Bond was not successful. I think I got intimidated by it in general, and I wiped away the Rod Bond pretty quickly. Is there a step by step tutorial or back issue of RodMaker that covers this? This is my first rod, so I don't have a lathe to build anything or winding checks to use (unless I purchase separately now) as a base so I am somewhat stuck with the Rod Bond, I think.

Tony Wilson
Cincinnati Ohio

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: My Epoxy Ramps - Part Deux
Date: May 11, 2010 07:36PM

Or, maybe there is a rod builder in the Cincinnati area that wouldn't mind me watching over their shoulder. :-)

Tony Wilson
Cincinnati Ohio

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: May 11, 2010 07:52PM

Tony I use regular Rod Bond. You got plenty of time to shape it. Let it set up about half way before you start shaping it. I use a small metal spatula dipped in water or alcohol to shape it. After is gets hard you can use a small triangular file to smooth it down even more (don't touch the blank with the file). Wrap it with thread from the bottom up. When you get to the top with the thread, right against the reel seat, stop wrapping, leave the tension on the thread and dab just a little crazy glue where the thread comes off the ramp. Let it dry then cut the thread loose even with the wrap. You are done, now finish it like you would a guide wrap.
There are other ways to do it. This is how I started doing it and I feel comfortable with this method.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Date: May 11, 2010 10:02PM

Just finished up. :-) Nerve wracking!!!! :-) I love this relaxing hobby! :-)

Thanks!

Tony Wilson
Cincinnati Ohio

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 11, 2010 11:01PM

I just did these for the first time myself. Rod Bond 10 or regular stunk for the ramps for me. 30 minute devcon or Flex Coat is what I used. After it cured, I sanded it down and wrapped over it and had no problems. [www.stripersonline.com] YOu can see the pics, these are SW rods with DPS 20 seats, migh tnot be what you are building.

Date: May 11, 2010 11:10PM

What do you use to sand them? I might need to a little, but not a lot. I was really working to get it perfect, which I know isn't needed because I will be wrapping it up.

Tony Wilson
Cincinnati Ohio

Posted by: Steve Johnson (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: May 12, 2010 12:44AM

I use Quick-bond and a finger dipped in alcohol to shape. I found out even that stuff will drip after alcohol has been applied to it if not rotated. Comes out perfectly smooth and no need to sand. I've been doing this for even really tiny ramps in place of winding checks lately and I like it a lot better. FWIW.

Steve

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 12, 2010 07:40AM

Sand with....sandpaper, lol. Dosn't matter because you're wrapping over it,you just want a flat base which is coencentric to the blank.The shorter & steeper the ramp, the harder it will be to wrap as the thread tends to slip off and back down.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 12, 2010 08:04AM

I tilt my turner up ward. As it turns I just lay finish on. The faster the turner turns the better it will hold the finish. Then i can tint some finish and put on a final coat or wrap thread over it.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.chi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 13, 2010 06:02PM

Take a step back and think about what you are trying to accomplish. If it is a way to get your hands comfortably in contact with the blank to maximize sensitivity, given that sensitivity is feeling what is going on at the end of the line, consider turning a ramp from foam reel seat shims, painting them with the color of your choice (ivory looks great under a feather inlay), then just coating with regular thread finish. Light, look great, easy. They can be integrated into the spinning reel seat shim function easily. For example, consider a two piece reel seat shim, one the forward half of the shim and the other the back half. The split line is centered under the reel seat, and the front has the integral ramp, and the rear has a similar ramp that is smaller so it doesn't interfere with the reel seat nut function. Put one in from the front, the other installed first, sized so it slides down the blank to the right spot and epoxied in place, the reel seat slid over it and epoxied, then the front half slid down the blank and epoxied into place. Use an 18mm seat for most spinning rods..

I find these to be very comfortable, very sensitive, classy and different from most rods. I'm surprised more haven't taken to them.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 14, 2010 07:39AM

To add. the graphite arbors match seats pretty good. Easy to sand and cheep. Well inexpensive And Pac Bay makes black ones

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jon Schrock (---.cinci.res.rr.com)
Date: May 16, 2010 09:35AM

Tony, I live up the road from you in Monroe. If you need more help with epoxy ramps email me at jonschrock@aol.com and I will get in touch with you when I build my next ramp.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.240.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: May 16, 2010 03:09PM

B-flat epoxy ramps serve their purpose and look a bit better than purchased polymer winding checks.

However, if a plain black thread ramp or an epoxy ramp is covered by tightly wrapped and burnished metallic thread or with flashabou and overcoated with a thin layer of ordinary guide wrap epoxy, then the ramp will glow with a subtle fire in direct sunlight - a nice touch for a custom rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster