I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Straightening out uneven finish?
Posted by: Audun Lange (---.84-49-151.nextgentel.com)
Date: May 10, 2010 04:56PM

Ten years after building my previous rod, I did assembly a spinning rod for the upcoming season.
However, the epoxy finish appears somewhat bulky. From what I've seen on some instructional videos (after the incident) I should certainly have used an alcohol burner with the finish.

Is there a rescue procedure for this? The epoxy was U40, and the application is lite to medium.

Thanks,
Audun

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Straightening out uneven finish?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 10, 2010 05:13PM

Not sure what an alcohol lamp would have done for you - if you want a thinner finish, just apply less.

About the only thing you can do at this point is clean, block sand until flat (hopefully without getting into the thread) and recoat. It might take a little time but it can certainly be done with good results.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 10, 2010 09:55PM

Next time after you apply finish, stop the turner, and let the guides sit I do it left and then right so it does not cover the rings, let it drip and wipe it off with your brush After no more drips turn the dryer on.

let it do it's thing no heat, not needed. I also like a cool room to finish in.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 11, 2010 02:13AM

Audun,
When I apply finish, I apply it quickly with a 100-200 rpm turning speed. I stop the rod at key points if needed to get the finish in around the guide foot.
After getting the finish on the rod and all of the guides, I will put the rod on the slow 6 rpm dryer and look over each guide. If there is too much finish or any other irregularities, I will use my heat gun to slightly heat and thin the finish to allow it to nicely flow off. If necessary, I will use a brush to dab off the excess if there is any there.

The heat is a convenient way to thin finish that has begun to thicken and is not flowing nicely.

Just be careful, to use GENTLE heat.
I really don't like to use a burner of any sort, because the heat is so intense, that it is quite easy to over heat the finish unless you stay quite a distance from the finish and move it fairly quickly over the finish area.

After letting the rod turn for about another 15 minutes, I will check again very closely, with a bright light and magnification on each guide and guide foot. I want to be sure that the finish is as good as it can be, before the finish sets too much.
Up to about 15 minutes or so, I find that I can still slightly heat the finish if needed to take care of a foot ball or an uneven area in the finish. That is why , I continuously check for the first 5-15 minutes of rod drying to be sure that there is the right finish on the rod.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Audun Lange (---.haukeland.no)
Date: May 11, 2010 04:14AM

Thanks a lot for your advice - very useful comments!

Audun

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster