I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide wrap in dec wrap
Posted by: Steve Zayas (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 10, 2010 02:00PM

I want wrap my stripper guide on top of one of the patterns in the dec wrap. I wrap the one side but how do I wrap the other? I was gonna wrap the guide on both sides in a threrad then cut the end of the dec wrap off then wrap the guide again in d thread is this the right way to do it? thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide wrap in dec wrap
Posted by: Lou Wasmund (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: May 10, 2010 03:32PM

it would be easy if you were doing the underwrap that way. If you are doing the top wrap I would play around with the spacing so you have an even end point on each guide foot. One part of teh wrap is going to end up at teh base of the foot and the other part is going to end up off the other side of the guide foot. Did that make any sense?

Posted by: Steve Zayas (---.tmodns.net)
Date: May 10, 2010 04:13PM

My question is more focoused on the tie off when you wrap one side of the guide on the butt end that holds the closed wrap in that section but when you wrap the guide on the tip end you have to wrap to the but how do you cut the extra threads off the closed wrap. I was gonna wrap the guide in a cut all the threads off the closed wrap and then wrap over everything in d.

Date: May 10, 2010 09:57PM

I need to read for comprehension sometimes. I think I follow you now. When I do a dec. wrap under where a guide is going I do an underwrap and make sure that I end the underwrap with about a 1/8" of whatever color my guide underwraps are. Then I wrap the 2nd and 3rd wraps like the other guides. This way the guide end is finished like all the other guide wraps. If I was only doing a single or double wrap on guides I would finish that guide like the others. So....your guide wraps are the tie off and there is continuity with all the other wraps.

Date: May 10, 2010 10:42PM

or...tie off wrap on the tip end of the dec wrap is the same color as the base of your other guide wraps then wrap the guide on with the same color or whatever color would be the 1st guide wrap

Posted by: Steven Paterson (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: May 10, 2010 11:59PM

Tape the guide on in place. Wrap the handle side of the guide first. When you start to wrap the tie off side, start a 1/4 from the guide foot and wrap over the guide foot. Cut off the rest of the threads from the buttwrap as the are now tied off from wrapping over the guide foot. Now match the length of the the wrap on the downhill side of the guide.....done deal.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster