I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Are Cork Rings Worth the Extra Cost?
Posted by: Tony Hill (---.068.popsite.net)
Date: January 02, 2003 06:21AM

I've been searching for cork rings at a reasonable price, and I keep ending up with a price of about $1 per inch.

Only problem is, for the price of 10" of rings, I can buy 13" of beautiful straight handle, and then turn it down to my specifications without ever having to glue it up.

For standard handles, why would I want to pay more money to give myself extra work? (I understand if one is doing alternate colors or some other decorative type of work)

I get the feeling that I am missing something. Am I?

Thanks.

TH

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Are Cork Rings Worth the Extra Cost?
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: January 02, 2003 08:33AM

Tony,
Not sure, the straight handle may be turned to a diameter that may not accomodate further turning for shaping to fit without getting much smaller than you would want.
Gluing up rings from scratch gives the start on shaping to fit the way you want leaving high areas where you want. The preshaped grip may not give this option.
But, if the straigh preshaped grip is suitable for sizing, there is no reason you can't do what you are suggesting if the cork quality is to your liking and the diameter is suitable.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.56.160.53.Dial1.Raleigh1.Level3.net)
Date: January 02, 2003 09:12AM

A lot of guys want to know that the rings have been glued properly and with a good adhesive. The only way they can be sure is by doing it themselves. It's also hard to find preformed grips that are made from the same quality cork you buy, if you want the best.

You mention a cost of $1 per inch. I'd say with the better cork your cost would be $2 per inch since the better rings are $1 or more a pop per 1/2 half inch.

If what you're using now suits you, then I can't see any reason why you'd want to turn your own. If you're getting the results you desire and eliminating some of the work then you're already where you want to be.

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: January 02, 2003 10:00AM

The "beautiful" handles I have seen are chocked full of some kind of filler to make them photograph well. Turn them a little and they don't look so good.

I like to build from the rings directly on to the blank. I would (and I guess do) pay extra for just the rings to be able to do it that way. Just don't like reaming a long grip and then dealing with the areas that don't fit.

what you might be missing is the feel of a solid handle that is in contact with the blank all the way up and is concentric with the rod shaft.

Date: January 02, 2003 11:26AM

Thank you for the informative feedback.

If the premium cork rings are of a higher quality, that fully explains the difference in cost.

I am happy with what I have been using, but since I completed my rod lathe, I've been looking for MORE cork to turn. I like this stuff! New-toy excitement, no doubt.

Now I'm looking forward to doing a handle from start to finish. Thanks again for the help you guys always provide.

TH

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.56.40.96.Dial1.Raleigh1.Level3.net)
Date: January 02, 2003 11:39AM

If what you want is another hobby, turning can as addicting as rod building. And once you start inlaying burl and burnt or colored cork, well.........

I'd say we're looking at a man that will soon be turning all his own grips from scratch.

Date: January 02, 2003 10:45PM

Oh boy... I want to argue, but the little voice in the back of my head is telling me to smile and keep nodding.

:-)

TH

Posted by: Rob Matarazzo (---.new-york-27rh16rt-ny.dial-access.att.net)
Date: January 03, 2003 08:50PM

I bought one of those "beautiful" fly rod grips last year. It cost about $20 or so. When I turned it down to the size I needed, it ceased being beautiful. I was very dissappointed.

I prefer to build my grips up from rings for several reasons, as mentioned by others. Namely, I can get a good fit between the ring and the blank, and I can see what is inside the rings and select them accordingly.

I have been using the rings sold by Cabela's for many years. They are currently priced at $15.99 for a bag of 25 rings (1 1/8" diameter). There are higher grade rings available, but the cost starts to get ridiculous. I find that by using these rings and using a little bit of careful selection, good sanding and filling, I get a result that is superior to what the high end rod companies are putting on their $500-$600 fly rods.

Posted by: Zach (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 06, 2003 04:22AM

An option for keeping the costs down and getting a special looking grip - would be to get some tightly confirugred burl cork rings (50 cents each) and then with a home made cork jig (1 1/4" pvc) cut some diamonds or even 1/4" small circles (hobby shop brass tube filed sharp with a dremel tool) out of come nice cork - get 2 diamonds each or 4-6 cricles. Glue it up, work it to shape. Makes a distinctive look.

Good luck
zach

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster