I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Super glue and cork handles?
Posted by: Pete Sansone (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 08, 2010 10:17AM

I attended the 2009 Custom Rod Expo and was lucky enough to see Tom K. giving a sminar on some useful tricks used by the pro's. I saw him aplying some super glue out of a large squeeze bottle onto the cork handdle while it was on a rod laith. Then he spun the handle and sanded the cork which put a nice hole fee finish on the cork. My question is for you Tom> I'm sure you told us but I forgot! What grade of sandpaper did you use for this and did you use more than one grade? Also were there any other tips involved in this cool trick??
PS> Sorry I missed the 2010 Expo, I had some dadgum eye surgery instead! Hope to see you next year!!

Snooker Pete

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Super glue and cork handles?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 08, 2010 02:17PM

I think you have me mixed up with somebody else. I don't remember giving such a demo and have never used superglue on cork. Not saying that it can't be done, just that I haven't done it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2010 10:02PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 08, 2010 03:38PM

Pete

Try doing a search to find out. My understanding is it is to hard and maybe brittle to coat cork

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Vella (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: May 08, 2010 09:44PM

I've done it, You're not actually leaving any on the cork it all sands off except what mixes with the cork dust and gets pushed into the holes and cracks and becomes a filler and is sanded smooth all in the same application. I used a water proof ca glue so it held up real well too. You can burn through a few dollars worth of the glue pretty quick though, there are a lot less expensive fillers

Posted by: Rena Hall (---.oc.oc.cox.net)
Date: May 09, 2010 04:16PM

I've done it also. After applying Super Glue, I immediately start sanding, using mesh (screen) sander, like that used for dry wall sanding. This sands the cork without clogging the mesh sander, as would regular sandpaper. This action fills the cork holes with cork dust mixed with superglue. When all of the holes are filled with cork dust & super glue, I quickly wipe all residue off of the handle. I then let dry overnight. Then I re-sand the cork, starting with 200 grit sandpaper, followed by several diminishing grits of sandpaper, finishing up with 600 to 800 grit.

Then, with the rod turning at about 800 to 1000 RPM, I polish the cork handle with a piece of nylon pantyhose. Although the holes that are filled with superglue and cork are slightly darker than the original cork, It still turns out beautiful! As a matter of fact, I prefer cork handles with filled holes. They are more esthetic looking to me, compared to the bland and sterile look of a perfect cork handle without holes!

Rena

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2010 04:19PM by Rena Hall.

Posted by: Pete Sansone (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 09, 2010 07:00PM

Well I'm sorry Tom! I was heavily medicated at the Expo as I had henia surgery the day before I got on the plane to fly up there! So maybe I was just dreaming it was you when actually it was someone else. But I think I know what I saw and after reading Bill & Rena's posts I guess I didn't just dream it up! What you wrote Rena is kinda what I remembered and the handle came out great when he (who ever he was) was finished!! Thanks Bill and thanks Rena!!! I'm gonna try what you said and see how it works!

Snooker Pete

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.theedge.ca)
Date: May 09, 2010 10:04PM

There are various viscosities of superglue for wood finishing also.
Pick one of the thicker versions as it's working time is extended.

i.e. Special T

[www.leevalley.com]

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster