I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

AT ATX Blanks?
Posted by: Joe Willsen (---.isp.broadviewnet.net)
Date: May 05, 2010 02:16PM

Hi Folks....I am new to the forum and to rod building in general. I have built 4 or 5 rods for friends and am really enjoying it. I do mostly saltwater fishing....wire line trolling.....drifting for fluke.....chunking for stripers...etc. I have been using the American tackle ATX blanks for a few reasons. They are reasonably priced and I like the glossy black , I have developed a nice metallic blue underwrap with silver trim bands and black overwraps. I think they look pretty sharp. But...... What is the general opinion of these blanks? Are they inexpensive because they are junk?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Joe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: AT ATX Blanks?
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: May 05, 2010 02:37PM

You will find alot of reasonable priced blanks out there that are very good quality. Just because the blank does not cost much, does not mean it is junk. If the blanks have performed well for you that you built on before, that should be enough to show you how good the blank is.

Posted by: Darrin Heim (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: May 05, 2010 06:56PM

Hi Joe,

I have been waiting for the opinions,,,,,,,,seems like a very reasonable question to me,,,,, okay, now I have to throw my comments in.

True, they are economically priced however if we thought they were junk we wouldn’t offer them and certainly wouldn’t warranty them. Over the years I have used Trulines, Sabres, Seekers, Cal Stars, etc. and have quite the collection of E-glass, S-glass, & composites to fish with, but these days I use a lot of the ATX blanks. Admittedly the volume is probably due to easy access but I have found them to be excellent performers and that they hold up every bit as good as all the others with several becoming my absolute favorites. We offer popular actions along with more niche oriented models. I would have to say that the majority of these blanks are sold to private label builders and guys selling very high-priced finished semi-custom rods. Their quality along with the economical price makes them ideal for those who need to make money producing a “quality” rod for resale. For many, more expensive brands don’t offer anything other then a reduced margin so the pay less for a blank that works well for a very expensive finished rod (they make more money). What I mean to say is that, I and others who are particular about our blanks, are very satisfied with the ATX line. If they didn’t have confidence in them, they would go to a more expensive “brand”. If I didn’t like them, I would change them to make them better which does happen. Hope you like them and still use them, thank you for your consideration.

Best Regards,

Darrin Heim
American Tackle Company

Posted by: Rick Bennett (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: May 06, 2010 06:53AM

I have built quite a number of "bluewater" rods on AT ATX blanks and have found them to be very high in quality. No complaints from customers, in fact just the opposite...they are highly impressed with the quality and performance. Thank you AT.

Capt. Rick Bennett
Rod-Man Inc
Rod-Man Custom Rods
910-520-7661

Posted by: Mike Thompson (67.239.188.---)
Date: May 06, 2010 08:04AM

Im really not aware of any blank on the market thats junk. If there were any maybe they didnt last long enough for me to see them.

Posted by: Bill Burkett (---.prod-infinitum.com.mx)
Date: May 06, 2010 09:51AM

Darrin, thanks for adding your views. I just built my first rod on an ATX blank and I'm favorably impressed with them. The finish is better than most of the better known blanks and the over-all quality was excellent. I'm in Baja, Mexico and here on the left coast everyone knows CalStar and Seeker, so most of the rods I build are on those blanks, but I like the better price point of the Amtac and I think the quality is as good or better than the others. I'll still need to see how well they hold up to use, but I'm expecting they will do just fine. I will be using them more.

Posted by: Joe Willsen (---.isp.broadviewnet.net)
Date: May 06, 2010 12:50PM

Darrin Heim Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Joe,
>
> I have been waiting for the opinions,,,,,,,,seems
> like a very reasonable question to me,,,,, okay,
> now I have to throw my comments in.
>
> True, they are economically priced however if we
> thought they were junk we wouldn’t offer them
> and certainly wouldn’t warranty them. Over the
> years I have used Trulines, Sabres, Seekers, Cal
> Stars, etc. and have quite the collection of
> E-glass, S-glass, & composites to fish with, but
> these days I use a lot of the ATX blanks.
> Admittedly the volume is probably due to easy
> access but I have found them to be excellent
> performers and that they hold up every bit as good
> as all the others with several becoming my
> absolute favorites. We offer popular actions along
> with more niche oriented models. I would have to
> say that the majority of these blanks are sold to
> private label builders and guys selling very
> high-priced finished semi-custom rods. Their
> quality along with the economical price makes them
> ideal for those who need to make money producing a
> “quality” rod for resale. For many, more
> expensive brands don’t offer anything other then
> a reduced margin so the pay less for a blank that
> works well for a very expensive finished rod (they
> make more money). What I mean to say is that, I
> and others who are particular about our blanks,
> are very satisfied with the ATX line. If they
> didn’t have confidence in them, they would go to
> a more expensive “brand”. If I didn’t like
> them, I would change them to make them better
> which does happen. Hope you like them and still
> use them, thank you for your consideration.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Darrin Heim
> American Tackle Company

Thanks Darrin and all who responded. As I re-read my post i realize that I could have asked the question better. I would certainly remove the "junk" reference......So far....I love the blanks and have developed my own kind of signature scheme around them. I even built a trolling rod for myself. I just haven't been able to fish it yet. I was really hoping to hear that they fish as well as they look....especially for the price. I was very pleasantly surprised to find these blanks so reasonably priced

Thanks,
Joe

Posted by: Timothy Johnson (---.37.97.165.adsl.snet.net)
Date: May 06, 2010 02:47PM

I build many fluke rods on the 7' graphite blanks, the 20-30 Mod fast is the one I use for fluke drifting. The ATX 15-30# 10' Surf Rod is a sweet rod as well. Their 30-50# wireline trolling blank will be put to the test in a spiral wrap once the Stripers make it up here in force. I made up a planer rod out of their 5'6" 60-130# trimmed down to 4' and it worked great off of Morehead this year, did another planer with the 80# IGFA class blank trimmed down. I have another 5'6" 60-130# to build, too. The 80-130# composite makes an incredibly powerful rod, too. Nice blanks at a great price!

Posted by: Darrin Heim (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: May 06, 2010 04:43PM

Hi guys,

Thank you Mike, Mike, Rick, Bill & Timothy for the comments. Joe, I didn’t think you were saying they were junk so I wasn’t taking offense. It’s a good question and wanted to hear what people think but I jumped in since I appreciate addressing the subject and talking about our stuff. Hope all you guys have as good luck as I have had with these blanks. I realize that all blanks can have issues with quality and durability no matter what label is on them, all I can say is that they have been very successful for us so we confidently offer them. We tend to be very critical of our own stuff trying to continuously improve where ever we can and I would just hope that comes across.

Best Regards,

Darrin Heim
American Tackle Company

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster