I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How much is a Pac Bay rod wrapper worth?
Posted by: Al Sanders (---.cst.lightpath.net)
Date: May 04, 2010 02:59PM

I am looking to buy a Pac Bay rod wrapper with the upgradded chuck. It looks to be in great condition. What is this thing worth?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How much is a Pac Bay rod wrapper worth?
Posted by: Steve Zayas (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 04, 2010 03:10PM

A little over 3hundred new with upgrade chuck

Date: May 04, 2010 03:15PM

Steve Zayas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A little over 3hundred new with upgrade chuck

Im sorry I didn't mention it is used. Are you saying over 300 used?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 04, 2010 03:24PM

Al,
The nominal value of most things that are use is generally about 50% of new price.

So, what every the price of the wrapper is when new - divide by 2 and you will have a pretty good rule of thumb.

Roger

Date: May 04, 2010 03:36PM

Al,
We are in the free market system.
So, to answer your question, What is a pac bay rod wrapper worth?

The simple answer is very simply this:

A used pac bay rod wrapper with an updated chuck is worth exactly what a buyer is willing to give to the seller.

The seller wants to sell high and the buyer wants to buy low.

So, generally speaking, the seller asks more than he/she expect to get and then negotiate a closing deal from that point. The problem with asking too high a price, is that you won't get any offers.
Sometimes the best thing to do is to simply offer to sell the item for the "best offer" - or use the wording - I will entertain any reasonable offer.

Good luck
Roger

Date: May 04, 2010 03:38PM

Al,
As you can see from one seller, a new unit goes for $329

[]

So, don't ask more than $329 but probably ask more than $1.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 04, 2010 04:10PM

Al is tring to buy, not sell the wrrapper

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: May 04, 2010 04:21PM

So Im willing to pay as little as possible. How about $50? Whos going to sell it to me? haha

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 04, 2010 04:52PM

If you check out the @#$%& sites, you will get a good idea of what they are selling for on the used market. When I upgraded to a power lathe last year, I actually saw prices being bid that were higher than the new retail from Mudhole.
Bear in mind that there is no warranty with a used unit. Might seem like a minor point, but I needed to get a replacement rod stand AND a replacement drying unit (the chuck in the unit was defective).

I ended up getting the American Tackle Power wrapper, Pac Bay upgrade chuck and drying unit for $48 LESS than someone paid for a used unit WITHOUT the drier on the BIG @#$%& Site, and I didn't have to pay the $50 shipping on the used unit.

I suggest you look at the prices some of the vendors here are offering the wrapper/chuck combo for, and then decide what you believe is fair for a USED lathe.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: May 04, 2010 07:24PM

What ever the traffic will bare. How old is the unite? I have had a PacBay for almost 20 years I paid over 300 back then. I like the adjustable restate system. I have also modified mine before they came out with their tail stock system, I even put a tool rest on it, before they came out with theirs I also put a new head chuck in it . (the old type sucked) The old chuck was styled from a adjustable hole cutter by I think Craftsmen or B/D. I even put a multiple pulley system on it for high speed polishing.

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: May 05, 2010 02:49PM

One important question to ask yourself is this: How much is it worth to YOU,to NOT wrap by HAND any longer? And pay accordingly. :)

Posted by: Richard Hahn (---.ssa.gov)
Date: May 05, 2010 05:13PM

Ok ....... I watched them for awhile when I was buying one on several sites. The thing is that the used ones held their value. I think most of them were between $250 and $300 for the Pac Bay's with the upgraded chucks ......... but that was 3 years ago when more people had jobs ....... don't know now

Date: May 05, 2010 11:26PM

Al,
If you don't want to spend that much money on a power wrapper, you could always make one yourself.

If you would like to do something like that, drop me an e-mail and I can give you a few ideas.

Take care
Roger

hflier@comcast.net

Posted by: Matthew Smith (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: May 06, 2010 06:19PM

You also didn't say what model it is? MIne is an RW-XL and sells for $379.95 new from Mudhole, which is more than the other models from PacBay. It has the tube-style base rather than the channel style, new chuck, and dryer built in. It may not be too likely thats what the one you are looking at is since they didn't sell nearly as many as the RW-3L, but just in case...

I also think there are a ton of other variables, age and condtiion of the unit and whether or not they turned alot of cork, etc. I use mine to turn cork a fair bit and I am worried about the motor over time. It gets pretty hot when I do cork turning, although it is advertised to have that capability. Also alot of cork dust gets in the motor and I have to blow it out with canned air after each session. (I'm probably about to get fussed at for doing that, but its all I have at the moment lol. Will buy a lathe or other means of cork turning when I can afford it, and do it outside for dust reasons.)

If you find one for $50 that stil works I will buy 2 of them, 1 to turn cork outside and 1 for spare parts :)

Matt Smith
Greensboro, NC

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: May 07, 2010 04:46AM

Most good builders use their laths for power wrapping under wraps and just use the chuck to hold the blank while hand turning wraps for guides. I have 3 power wrappers 1 Batson, 1 Pack bay and one Clemons . I use my PacBay to turn cork I have modified it so I have a tail stock support to turn cork using a mandrel, also I built a tool rest. The Renzetti I use for thread art and weaving. The quarter turn lock is a great help when centering threads. The Pack Bay motor does a vary good job turning Cork just as long as you blow out the dust and check the brushes for ware. I vary seldom use the Pack Bay or Batson drier unites. For me I have found that Rotisserie motors work great. My suggestion is when looking for a wrapper, decide what you want that wrapper to do. Anglers Workshop has a great unit. I would look around and see what other units offer. When I modified my PB they did not have a tool rest or tail stock now they do. The only reason The only reason I got the Clemons (Renzetti ) is I got it a good buy 5 years ago. I think I paid close to 450 today that unite is about or over a grand. The new unites have been redesigned and modified

Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster