I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod breakage: As Seen on TV!
Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 01, 2010 10:39AM

This morning I was watching "Into the Blue." a fishing program on the VS. channel. (It will air again on Dish Network Tuesday at 5:30 AM.)
They were fishing for snapper over a wreck, bit there were Goliath grouper all over the place. One fisherman kept breaking them off or losing them into the wreck. The captain decided to show him a "trick" to get them off the wreck.
He put the butt of the rod into a rod holder, locked the drag on the conventional reel, and started cranking. This worked fine for two fish.
On the 3rd, as he was cranking, the rod snapped just above the fore grip. They showed it again on replay.
I have seen this happen on vertical jigging rods when the angler held the blank forward of the grip to increase leverage, and I have seen it with the rod resting on the rail or gunnel, but never with the rod in a rod holder.
I'm not sure what they were using for line (heavy braid, I'm sure), but they were using 6' of 200 lb mono leader. And these were heavy boat rods.
If you get this channel, it might be worth setting the dvr to record this program.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod breakage: As Seen on TV!
Posted by: Cheng Moua (---.mycingular.net)
Date: May 01, 2010 10:53AM

I've watched Larry dahlberg (hunt for big fish) snap a rod in half trying to horse in a monster red tail cat from out of the amazon

Posted by: justin keithley (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: May 01, 2010 01:03PM

Kelly jordan snapped one of those duckett micro-magic rods like a twig on worlds greatest fishing show today. Didn't go back to my magazine to see what type of break it was though :)

looked like a darn clean break - like someone zipped through it with a cut-off wheel.

Regards,
-Justin

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.sub-166-156-63.myvzw.com)
Date: May 01, 2010 03:14PM

It was his Carolina Rig rod....probably damaged it in storage...that big 1oz. weight banging around...

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: May 01, 2010 04:03PM

It just goes to show you an experienced guide fisherman can break a rod high sticking or forcing a fish. LOL Remember when Shakespeare advertised a rod that not be broken. Now that was Hip in its purest form

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Russell Brunt (12.77.249.---)
Date: May 02, 2010 11:41AM

I have seen things done to a rod, in the name of catching grouper, that I could never condone. It isn't "right" to lock down the drag and use the boat to pull a fish off the bottom. Something is going to break eventually and it isn't my idea of sportmanship.

I have to question why anyone would intentionally fish for an endangered fish and why any editor would allow such content on a tv show. To think no harm is done to the fish is plain silly and/or ignorant. 200 pound leader for snapper? Sure!!!!, Mr. Game Warden we were Only fishing for snapper. Criminal behavior in my book.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: May 02, 2010 01:30PM

Russ I totally agree with you. An to allow such things to be televised is also a criminal offense to me

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Mike Thompson (67.239.191.---)
Date: May 03, 2010 03:48PM

Hope the Ducket rod dont follow in the breakage path of the old Carrot stick.

Date: May 03, 2010 07:09PM

Yea Mike those Carrot stick were a good rod, There only draw back was, you couldn't keep Ole bare Rabbit from nawing on them LOL

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 04, 2010 07:45AM

Solid glass should be just what is needed for those monsters.

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster