I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Advances in Graphite - myth?
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 30, 2010 01:39PM

This post was made on another forum, I"m wondering what people think about the following statement:

"Since the advent of 24 million graphite, manufacturers around the world made what they called "advances" with graphite materials. <ost often they claimed, greater sensitivity, lighter, weight stronger. As Modulas grew so did the claims. Here is the facts. each material actually was no better. Nano Carbon is just as I said, another song and dnace, but, it is the cool guy term, just like carbon is the new cool guy term, and I laugh like @#$%& to myself when I hear people using these terms for the sole purpose of being in the "Know", "the in crowd"."

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Advances in Graphite - myth?
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 30, 2010 01:52PM

Think that is called -- Marketing

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: April 30, 2010 02:33PM

That's kinda the same way I feel about "green".

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: April 30, 2010 02:56PM

AMEN BILLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Put your seatbelts on when you all see the price of a singlehand fly rod from Loomis this fall made of new space age material!!! Mark my word, your jaw will drop!

Paul

Date: April 30, 2010 03:04PM

That is like the orange painted blanks they call Carrot Stix. They sell ???

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 30, 2010 03:14PM

Take a 1970's vintage graphite rod and cast it against a modern graphite rod. Do you think you would be able to tell the difference?

Posted by: Bob Meiser (---.dhcp.mdfd.or.charter.com)
Date: April 30, 2010 03:16PM

Ah heck ... As long as I'm here today ...

I have not read this thread, and not sure how the quote was taken from context ... But if the quote is taken literally: I would call it a rather foolish (and uneducated) thing to say.

From what our shop has seen over the past decade, there have been on-going advancements / improvements in materials for composite tubes ... Especially in resin development.

... And more importantly to our benefits are how awareness of these advancements have been opportunistically applied by savvy composite tube engineers to improve our fishing rod blanks.

Our shop is asked to do design consultation for several rod blank manufacturers, and we see these advancements on a regular basis.

So I do not think it's a myth <> And thank goodness for us it's not ... };^) ... !!!

Bob Meiser

Posted by: Larry Damore (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 30, 2010 06:52PM

I think I have to go with what Bob Meiser says on this one. Advances in weight vs strength alone tell a huge story.

Posted by: Derrick Miller (---.dhcp.plbg.ny.charter.com)
Date: April 30, 2010 09:52PM

Sure, there's some marketing hipe in there. Currently, nano context has much significance as titanium (oxide) golf balls. Or, thermoplastic fly rods...hahumm.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.250.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: April 30, 2010 10:01PM

I was under the impression that "graphite" referred to carbon atoms arranged in one specific crystalline form, and any other geometric arrangement of carbon atoms results in something other than graphite - like diamond. Am I misinformed?
If all graphite, like all asprin, must by definition be alike it would appear that advances in rod blanks are due entirely to new resins and new tapers. I'm curious to discover the facts here.

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: April 30, 2010 10:08PM

Ask yourselves this.....What blank has been introduced into the market that has rivaled the GLX or IMX? They've been on the fly rod market for over 10 years...the IMX well over 10 years! They are not "my" prefered blank to use due to the cost....

So where are the advances? Help me out...I'm open-mined.... Tapers surely dont make anything advances, just different.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2010 08:49PM by Paul Rotkis.

Posted by: Derrick Miller (---.dhcp.plbg.ny.charter.com)
Date: April 30, 2010 11:24PM

No argument here Paul. I'll add, what has Loomis done since Gary left 10yrs ago? He knows a thing or three about tapers, ferule design, etc. There have been some advancements, carbon scrim. Helios thermoplastic, I mean, look at those rod weights.

There's much higher modulus carbon out there but wall thickness is already pretty thin already. Epoxy has been the weak link in the matrix. What annoys me about marketing hipe is that practically a lie, it seems to mean something different (titanium golf balls). For example, Helios 'thermoplastic' is still an epoxy with a thermoplastic toughener added. Is there benefit, yes, but there's a whole nother story of thermoplastic that displaces epoxy. That would be a real advancement. Higher tensile/elongation. Nano will be the next buzz. It'll likely be some kind of nano talc, again in epoxy. Wing ding. Whereas 'nano carbon' is whole nother story.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: April 30, 2010 11:56PM

Not long ago I had a conversation with2 well know blank designers at separate times. From what they told me is this. They did not know I had talked to the other. What they told me was that the carbon fibers used in the new blanks were thiner, but where the technology is, is in the new resins that have been designed. The new resigns are lighter and much more stronger than the resins used in the past. The new resins will give you a lighter and stronger blank. Imagine a rod that is designed to fight a 30 pound fish, but weighs in like a 2wt fly rod

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Jason Cosby (---.sub-72-100-10.myvzw.com)
Date: May 01, 2010 07:28AM

I've heard several designers (including Gary Loomis) say the same. The graphite is the same graphite we were using 15 years ago. It's the resin and precision that have improved and they say that the resin is still getting better. Computers have helped to more precise tapers and the amount and type of material in a specific blank section, so they're literally able to design the thing inch by inch now. This is why I'm using a lot of fiberglass in my builds. Still not the best choice for a dedicated light lure rod, but not the clunky old brick that jumps to peoples' mind when glass is mentioned. At least not from those manufacturers pushing the envelope.

Jason Cosby
Cos Rods

Posted by: John Martines (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 01, 2010 08:57AM

The graphite hasn't changed.. the way it's made and it's diameter has changed. Being ignorant to technology is stupid but leaving the old behind is just as stupid. IM-6 and IM-7 Hexcel materials made some of my favorite blanks. E- and S- glass also make some great rods. Some of the high modulus blanks made to day are wonderful as well.. Billy,I'll bet he has no idea what nano Carbon is!!!

Date: May 01, 2010 09:13AM

I can see making things better lighter, but when I tell a customer a price on the phone cause the blank alone is 300-400, and there is a pause as he gets off the floor and then decides to go to so and so store where they have micro guides and split grips on there much more inexpensive rods -- that does not do me any good. Reality check

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bob Meiser (---.dhcp.mdfd.or.charter.com)
Date: May 01, 2010 11:46AM

Consider searching Toray carbon fiber.

Check out the links and sub-links from this site base.

We have found it to be a good answer source for questions that we have concerning whats happening today in carbon fiber technology.

If one finds this sort of thing interesting ... There is lots of source information available here.

Bob Meiser

Date: May 01, 2010 11:54AM

Tell your customer that material prices have changed, along with technology. I can remember when I paid less than 3 grand for a Dodge 440 with a 4 speed slap trany. Remember you are a custom rod builder and you do thing that mass-producers don't have time to do

Good Wraps Bob

Date: May 02, 2010 09:31AM

This is true Bob. I also remember a build I lost because of a 30.00 difference. But when the customer got the rod the handle was too long. I rubbed it in by telling him I would have asked many questions on how and where he fishes. My handle would have fit

Bill - willierods.com

Date: May 02, 2010 01:39PM

Bill I also explain to my customers, that the rod I am building for them can not be compared to any off the shelf rod. I also show them the difference. Even tho I may be using some of the same components. I love it when I go to a big box store and watch a sales person whipping a rod around saying look at this action or high stinking the rod to show the power. These guys are laugh

Good Wraps Bob

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster