I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

spiral wrap L or R ???
Posted by: peter gersumky (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: April 28, 2010 12:33AM

which way would the guides spiral to wich side if i use a left-hand retrieve baitcast reel ????

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: spiral wrap L or R ???
Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: April 28, 2010 12:42AM

For my left handed reel clients I build to the right and visa versa

Date: April 28, 2010 12:43AM

is that to offset the minimal twist as the line is going to the bottom ??

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 28, 2010 12:58AM

What ever gave you the idea that there was any twist as the line goes to the bottom?

Rotating them towards the same side of the reels handle helps to protect the transition guides because of the way most people tend to lay their rods on the deck with the handles angled upwards.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2010 12:59AM by Steve Gardner.

Date: April 28, 2010 01:09AM

so it is just preference ??

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 28, 2010 01:26AM

Spiral side depends which side of the equator you're on...

Kidding. I do what Steve said most of the time. The transition or bumper's on the same side as the reel crank for the reason he mentioned, plus dropping the rod on the deck, the crank will usually prevent the guide from taking a hit,.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 28, 2010 09:22AM

It really doesn't matter. Most guys, as Mark and Steve suggest, run the line around the same side of the blank the reel handle is on.

But there are situations where doing the opposite, and running the line around the blank on the opposite side of the reel handle, has merit. I'll give you one: many guys plug the surf with conventional, non-level wind reels like the Penn 525 Mag. When doing this, one must level the lind with one's left thumb while retrieving the line with one's right hand. Running the line around the left side of the blank (opposite the reel handle) can make leveling the line easier: the spiral will naturally "pull" the line toward the left, so to level the line, all one has to do is push the line to the right with your left thumb, and then let the guide setup pull it back. I've experimented with this a bit, and it does make leveling the line manually slightly but significantly easier.

So there are reasons to go on both sides. But there's really no right or wrong answer: do whatever works best for you.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: April 28, 2010 09:35AM

Next for ICAST Release!

Fresh Water Bass Rods

I build them so the are correct when in hand at at work - while they are snoozing on the deck I guess SG should invent a release/cam/dogear/swivel/lock snap free rotate reel seat and release it in Rodmaker Magazine.

Until that new day -

Spiral to the direction of the hand pull or line strip while flipping or pitching

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 28, 2010 09:37AM

Which ever way you do it, check on the retrieve to make sure the line does not load on one side.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 28, 2010 02:03PM

What Chris said.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 28, 2010 03:18PM

I like spiraling opposite the reel handle because I like the ease of looking at the line while it's coming in, or preferably, going out with the drag screaming. Not a logical scientific reason by far, but it's mine anyway :-)

DR

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: April 28, 2010 03:37PM

I normally go to the side of the handle. No real reason why other than that's just the way it went.

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: April 28, 2010 07:02PM

Not to hijack this thread and all but I thought I would mention that the recent Batson News Letter Tips and Tricks feature a bit of info on Spiral wrap here is the link [clients.criticalimpact.com]#

Make sure you sign and join in at www.batsonenterprises.com for up coming articles Batson is having a blast sharing our tips and tricks with our subscribers not to mention if you submit a fish story using a Batson blank and we run it in our News Letter you will receive a free rod rack:)

BTW thank you too everyone that has had a hand in the spiral wrap concept you know who you are :)

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 28, 2010 09:40PM

Bill;
That is a good point!
So far, most if not all of the people I've built for strip line with the same hand they crank with. Having the line spiral in the same direction of the handle has been the same as setting it up for when they are at work.

But I will make sure to pay attention so that when I have a customer who uses the other hand I have it built to their particular needs.

Chris;
I don’t do salt water stuff so that is not a concern in my builds but is a very valid point for those in that situation.

Posted by: Tony Childs (152.72.151.---)
Date: April 29, 2010 01:09PM

I just finished a set of 6 9'6" RDR leadcore rods with spiral wraps. I did three right, three left per customers request. These rods are placed in stationary holders while being trolled, the rod is normally turned slightly to give the straightest line/guide path to the bait. The rodholders are staggered at different angles to give maximum seperation. Facing rearward, the rods on the right, turn towards the 3 o'clock position in progressive degrees. So on the left side of the boat, spirals to left. It is more just an asthetic deal than anything else. Performance is no different either way on either side. It is also one way to keep multiple rods side specific when things get silly. Long story short, no worries either way, just decide which way makes the most sense for the application.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: April 29, 2010 01:38PM

You guys are ruining my spiel......spiral to the left, left side of the boat, spiral to the right, right side of the boat. I love watching the face as they think about it. Also funny to see them make sure they have the right rod in the right holder the next time!!! I actually had someone ask if the rod in the middle had to have the guides "on straight".

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 30, 2010 02:20PM

I do a revolver style spiral so the line is basically centered on top to the first guide. I spiral to the right, but strip line with my left hand when I flip.....doesnt really matter for my use which side I spiral to...I do it to the right to protect the transition guides like Steve had mentioned.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster