I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

D2- First Experience
Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 27, 2010 01:42PM

Silvia,

So I finally got around to using the D2 that I have. I'm doing a 2S60ULF with black wraps, white trim, and black and white marbling. After seeing the "Gene Bullard" rod at the Expo I was anxious to try D2 on some white thread to see how it does. First I need to say that I love the bottle inserts and syringes that Bullard has- great stuff! I've traditionally only used high build and I was very pleased with the application of the D2. It's much easier for me to apply than a high build (for me it just goes on easier at the edge of wraps) and it levels super fast. I also used it for marbling with Testor's pigments and it worked very well. I have my LGM102-1XH waiting for a white tiger wrap whenever I get a chance to work on it...hopefully soon!

I think I'm sold on D2 as well as their bottle inserts. Silvia, you guys have been working hard and coming out with so many great products in such a short amount of time, your head must be spinning!

Thanks for everything.

jeremy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: D2- First Experience
Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.reverse.vilayer.com)
Date: April 27, 2010 02:27PM

The Diamond II I have IS a high build epoxy. Have they introduced a lite or lower build version?

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 27, 2010 03:33PM

Peter, I probably phrased that wrong. It's thinner than the high build that I usually use and easier to apply in a thin coat.

jeremy

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: April 28, 2010 12:31PM

Silvia is in Dallas taking care of some business related to Bullard International so you get me today. I can honestly say she is the hardest working person I have ever known, and goes non-stop in her efforts to bring you premium rod building supplies. There is a saying that if you want to make the impossible happen, just tell a Texan it can’t be done. She is the embodiment of that attitude.

Jeremy, thanks for the positive input on D2. As I know Silvia promised to you, DIAMOND II is easy to work with, levels great, is naturally low in bubbles, and is clear as a bell. She knew that you would love it as soon as you gave it a try.

Gene Bullard stated, "I believe this new finish will be the most important thing to happen to the custom fishing rod industry since the introduction of the tubular fiberglass rod blank.", when referring to DIAMOND II. I think the only thing that has amazed me about D2 is how well it does in so many other applications. For example, I think Gene would be tickled to see that his finish works so well for those of you doing marbling. This is why Silvia felt it necessary to launch her new line of pigments for those of you who are marblers. I have never seen anything like these colors.

Another use recently discovered would be poppers. We will have these available on our website very soon, hand-made exclusively for Bullard International. Maybe Silvia will give you all a sneak preview before too long.

Peter, you are right that D2 cannot be called “lite.” When Gene developed DIAMOND II, there weren’t any other rod finish products on the market and terms like “high build” or “lite” hadn’t even been used at that time. But to address your comment, “Yes” she is coming out with a true D2 Lite later this year. I think you already know this about her, but she will not put a product out on the market with the Bullard name until she has had it tested going and coming. That means it sometimes takes a little longer from idea to first sale, but it also means you never have to worry about problems in the application of any Bullard product.

Thanks again for your kind words and confidence in the products of Bullard International

Grady Davis

Posted by: Bill Cason (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: May 01, 2010 04:17PM

I can only reiterate what has been said above. D2 gives consistently good results with superior Clarity. A very good product.

Bill Cason
Cason Custom Rod Finishes, LLC

Posted by: John Lubben (---.static.gci.net)
Date: May 02, 2010 02:56AM

I am interested in D2. But unfortunately, none of my suppliers I have an account with carry your product. Is there a way I could setup a wholesale with you as well?

Thanks,
John

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 02, 2010 11:20AM

Get in touch with Karen at Bingham. She is a pleasure to do business with!

jeremy

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 02, 2010 03:45PM

John,

Swampland carry's it and you wont find better than Lance.

DR

Posted by: Silvia Davis (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: May 02, 2010 03:53PM

Hi John,

With 10 dealers worldwide, we most certainly can help you with setting up a wholesale account. You will find six of these dealers on our website @#$%&dealers.htm (with the other four to be announced soon).

As always, we appreciate your business and any of the listed dealers will be more than happy to assist you.

Silvia Davis

Posted by: Silvia Davis (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: May 02, 2010 04:40PM

Jeremy,

I know you are a busy guy and I am so glad to hear that you were finally able to give us a try. You are spot on about the fact that DIAMOND II is easier to use than a traditional high build. As Grady explained, there was no such animal when Gene was pioneering his way to what every rod builder now has on his bench—commercial thread epoxy. I will not bill DIAMOND II as a high build for exactly the reason you pointed out. It truly is in a class of its own and I believe labeling it as a high build isn’t truly accurate.

We will have a lite version coming out soon. I am hoping to introduce it this year. I feel very good about it, but I want to have it in the field for a while before we look at even offering samples. It has the same brilliant clarity of DIAMOND II, excellent leveling, low to no bubbles, and the UV protection has just been outstanding. I am really excited about its release. The fly rod guys are gonna love it!

And may I brag on you a bit. Those photos you are sending—wow! You do great work my friend. And those lures—you know that I want to see some of those snake skin lures with DIAMOND II. Gene would have thought those were great—he loved it when a guy used his artistic talent to bring unique ideas to this craft. I think I told you that Scott Bazinet with Soloway is making poppers with beautiful results using DIAMOND II. He said it is really taking the abuse he is giving it. Let me know when you get the lures finished and I will get them posted.

Silvia Davis

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster