I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Madeira & CP
Posted by: Rod Carlson (---.jetstream.xtra.co.nz)
Date: April 27, 2010 11:47AM

Do you have to use CP with Madeira thread, or can you super thin epoxy down and re coat a few times before a full finish?
I only ask because I can't get CP here in New Zealand but can get the thread ( crazy but true )

Cheers

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Madeira & CP
Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: April 27, 2010 12:05PM

Rod Mederia has a silicone type finish. I would us a CP. You can try a clear sealer coat wood finish, water base

Good Wraps Bob

Date: April 27, 2010 12:17PM

Thank you Bob
Yes I thought as much. Of course I could get some from the retailers in the US but I just bought some products
and really don't want to just order CP ( It would need to be a decent order to make it worthwhile to ship) also I'm impatient when it comes to starting a new rod
It's my mistake for only ordering NCP

Cheers

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 27, 2010 12:18PM

I have tried using Elmer's Wood glue - Thinned with water. Almost like flex coat. It has worked.You do have to thin it or it gets that cloudy white look to it. Three coats about. Sets fast.

Experiment.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: April 27, 2010 12:27PM

Well that is something I can get here Bill, thanks
I'll test it out and see how it goes. Got a few old rods floating around

Date: April 27, 2010 12:47PM

If you can also try the wood sealer that Bob recommended.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: April 27, 2010 01:38PM

I for got to mention their is a product artist used to save paintings it is called Fixative it is used to seal and protect protect art work in Charcoal, pastel, pincil drawing, I use it when I sign my work so when I put a finish on it will not smug or wipe off

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 27, 2010 01:59PM

What ever you use in place of regular CP, I would first test it on a scrap blank or on the butt where the grip will cover it, before you try it on your rod. I think "Krylon Fixitive" will behave the same as finish as far as preserving the color, though I could be wrong.
Kerry

Date: April 27, 2010 02:06PM

Thanks
I guess most water based sealants should work? as long as they are transparent.
I have been looking at Art supplies and there are a few Fixatives/sealers to choose from

Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.chcgilgm.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: April 27, 2010 07:51PM

You can use Madeira thread without CP to do tartans only. I have done a few. Gee, it amazed on how many people say "you have to use CP because you will get fisheyes". A few other builders can also do the same too. As always, I would recommend to try it on a scrap before you wrap it on a blank.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: April 27, 2010 09:09PM

Very nice wraps Jim, well that is interesting they look really bright and clear
I will test without CP also. I use light build finishes on Saltwater rods so there tend to be a few more coats anyway

Cheers

Posted by: Steve Johnson (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: April 28, 2010 08:53AM

You can use Madeira without CP. It can be a little tricky but it can be done. I just finished my 4th rod using Madeira and NO CP. I really like the look too. Madeira with CP + Madeira without CP = about 750+ color combos ;) Photo session this weekend & then you can see.

Steve

P.S. One major builder / supplier I talked to said he regularly uses Madeira without CP also.

Date: April 28, 2010 09:55AM

Steve

With out CP how is the finish applied. Most all say it will fish eye ?

Thanks

Bill - willierods.com

Date: April 28, 2010 10:49AM

Bill I have at times got away without using CP. What you have to remember is that Madeira is a sewing thread and most sewing threads have a added ingredient applied so it well pass through a needle with out sticking or fraying.

Good Wraps Bob

Date: April 28, 2010 02:44PM

Yes that is primarily why I want to use it. The range of colours.
they also come in groups of shades I believe which is handy.

Rod

Date: April 28, 2010 04:53PM

Yea then a really good customer has his rod - fish eye - I don't need that.

And i guess no one is going to tell me how they apply there finish so they don't get fish eyes ??

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2010 05:51PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 28, 2010 10:26PM

Here is another photo of a tartan done with Madeira. Bill, just apply a thin coat and keep an eye on it. Make the treads show on the first coat. Not real hard to do. I used the Diamondite finish that gets cured with a bulb and heat for this one. It sets in an hour so 3 beers and it was done. [www.rodbuilding.org]

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Steve Johnson (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: April 28, 2010 10:46PM

I do get fisheyes. I just deal with them in a way that suits me. Many times I don't get any. I slather on a coat of finish, usually lite variety, just as it starts to thicken, I brush off as much as I can. A second coat of Hi build usually gets the job done. If the second coat has problems, then I brush it down to a thin coat, wipe with alcohol after it cures and then follow with a third coat of lite.

This all sounds like it builds a thick coat of finish but it doesn't if done right. It is entirely doable with great results and a flawless final finish. I am going to set up to try to take some really good photos this weekend since I need to anyway. I will be sure to post the pics as soon as possible. I will be the first to say that my method is not the most efficient but it can result in a finish as good as any other if the situation calls for it. Feel free to email me if you would like.

PS, I am seriously considering adding a silicone based epoxy fisheye eliminator to the finish to see if it makes it easier. In theory it sounds viable.

Steve

Posted by: Steve Johnson (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: April 28, 2010 11:29PM

Proof

[www.rodbuilding.org]

I hope more people start to do this & someone finds an easy way. ;)

Steve

Posted by: Bruce Robb (---.fai.dsl.dynamic.acsalaska.net)
Date: April 29, 2010 01:44AM

I covered my maderia with CP and then Permagloss. Let it sit for a couple of weeks and came back with epoxy. No troubles.

Pesco Ergo Sum

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster