I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Four jaw chuck vs. three jaw
Posted by: Kevin Bergeron (---.static.networktel.net)
Date: April 26, 2010 12:31PM

Hello gentlemen, just started using mandrels instead of using the blank straight onto the chuck. Do you guys use a four jaw chuck for threaded mandrels or does a three jaw work better? Which are your favorites? Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Four jaw chuck vs. three jaw
Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.gc.usar.army.mil)
Date: April 26, 2010 01:01PM

I use a 4 jaw but only cause I use it to hold square stock as well when center boring and turning round.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 26, 2010 01:03PM

Kevin,
Any time that I am chucking up a round object, I typically use a 3 jaw self centering chuck. The reason is that the accuracy is quite good and the convience is better than an independent chuck adjustment.
Any time that I am chucking up an object that is not round, I will typically use a 4 jawed independent chuck to get the best lathe operation and material holding.
Also, if I find that I can't get the 3 jaw self centering lathe nicely centered, due to some issue with the object or something else, I will use the 4 jaw independent jawed chuck.

With a 4 jaw independent chuck, you can idal virtually all of the run out or wobble out of any reasonable chucked object. It is just that it takes considerably more time to chuck up an object with an independent adjustable chuck, compared to a self centering chuck.
The down side of a self centering chuck, is that you might get a touch of wobble or run out, if the chuck is not a very high quality with very close tolerances.

On even the best of the self centering chuck, you can typically do a bit better with run out with an independent chuck if you take the time. However, for most rod building needs, there is simply no need for the super, super accuracy and minimal run out that is achieved by the independent adjustable chuck.

If you plan to make some solid handles out of wood stock, which is typically cut to a square on a band saw, the use of the 4-jawed chuck will be the best bet.

Summary - round stock - 3 jaw.
Square stock - 4 jaw.
Non symeterical stock - 4 jaw.

Take care

Roger

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 26, 2010 02:03PM

There are 4-jaw self centering chucks available (Taig) and in some cases they offer you the best of most worlds.

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 26, 2010 02:16PM

However for a 4-jaw self centering chuck, if you are using something that is not square like odd shaped or rectangular you will only have two of the jaws coming in contact with the object, that is why I use a 3 jaw self centering chuck or a 4 jaw independant chuck.

Posted by: Kevin Bergeron (---.static.networktel.net)
Date: April 26, 2010 02:33PM

Thanks, I am going to try and use the mandrels for all my turning. Since I don't have a drill press I will use the 4 jaw that I already have for the boring. I guess I would like to know that which chuck will hold the mandrel straighter, or does it not matter.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 26, 2010 02:46PM

Another option is to use a Morse taper drill chuck in the head stock for mandrels. Not only cheaper, but the mandrel cannot slip though and cause an accident like with a 3 or 4 jaw chuck. That being said, I use a 3 jaw for mandrels (because I already had one) and a 4 jaw self centering for boring or turning square or off center stuff

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.gc.usar.army.mil)
Date: April 26, 2010 03:02PM

You can also use a jacobs chuck for mandrels if all you want to do is "hold' them. I like the self center 4 jaw as I can pass the mandrel through the chuck to shorten the distence between the head and tail stock so I do not have 18" of mandrel for a 4" peice of wood.

Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 27, 2010 05:57PM

For holding mandrels I use a collet chuck.

John
God bless the troops and USA

Posted by: Dan Ertz (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: April 28, 2010 10:57AM

John Kepka Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For holding mandrels I use a collet chuck.

I agree with John.

When I was a tool & die maker, if possible, I always used a collet chuck instead of a 3 or 4 jaw chuck. They run truer, are less apt to crush the work piece, and you don't have the "meat grinder" jaws jutting out to bark your knuckles on. A plus for small hobby lathes is that they don't take up valuable space between the head and tail stocks.

Dan

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 28, 2010 11:43AM

Dan,
I am going to have to go back and do some digging and find my collet chucks for my lathe. They are gathering dust, as I nurse my barked knuckles from a recent too close encounter with the lath chuck.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: April 28, 2010 03:21PM

"meat grinder" jaws

I love it. Brings back a vivid memory of long hair in high school metal shop. Hair got caught in the work piece and I was certain my skull was about to become ground meat. I reared back, made the belts slip, and ripped a bunch of hair out by the roots. There was enough blood involved for many to think I was indeed ground meat.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster