I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ink Jet Printers for Papilio White Vinyl Material
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: April 24, 2010 08:40AM

I have been making decals with the white vinyl material on a cheap HP ink jet (D2660), and have been very happy with the results. The one issue I have is when doing a black background, the black is not as dark as a gloss black blank.

I have messed with the printer, and had a local computer tech look at the settings, and he said I would probably need a different printer to get a truer black.

Does anyone have any printer model recomendations for this? Also - has anyone tried one of the new Kodak printers?

Thanks,

Marc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ink Jet Printers for Papilio White Vinyl Material
Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.reverse.vilayer.com)
Date: April 24, 2010 09:14AM

The Cannon printers I have used in the last few years all seem to do really deep blacks. Not sure about current offerings though.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: April 24, 2010 09:15AM

Black color setting in your software have many setting for color shades.

Black is no different.

If you are using software like Corel Draw shade adjustments can be made. The RBG Setting for color to match the Castaway Black blank is RBG - 8-8-8.

The other way to work around the blank black/media black is to do a wrap around overlap and then the slight difference is not noticable.

I use three older HP ink jet printers and they all work quite well.

Most of my labels are black as well.

Are you edging with acrylic black touch up to make the edge vanish? (Finger Nail Acrylic at Sally's beauty supply?)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2010 10:07AM by Bill Stevens.

Date: April 24, 2010 10:12AM

Hey Bill,

I am using Paintshop Pro, with RBG settings all at zero, and still not getting black enough with my HP D2660 printer. I am darkening the white edge with a black sharpie and it is working great.

Not sure what I can do to get darker other than a printer change from here.

I had an older HP printer that did print a darker black, but she retired.

Thanks,
Marc

Date: April 24, 2010 10:29AM

Understood - What blank surface are you trying to match up with?

There is also a setting for ink volume in the printer settings - have you advanced that to darker?

Sharpie use can be improved. Sharpie contains a solvent which reacts with the adhesive on the back of the media. If you are getting small bubbles around the edge during the finishing after the first coat try acrylic black touch up.

Date: April 24, 2010 11:44AM

I looked under my printer info, and can't seem to find a setting for ink volume. Any idea where it may be located?

Also - I do sometimes get those little bubbles - I'll have to check out the acrylic black - Thanks!

Date: April 24, 2010 02:46PM

At time of print -

On HP printers the print screen includes Properties - click on that and select darker or slide the bar from lighter to darker.

Posted by: Andy Jones (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 24, 2010 05:07PM

Bill, will you elaborate on "acrylic black touch up"? Are you just talking about acrylic paint, or is there a specific paint marker that you have used with good results?

Date: April 24, 2010 05:51PM

Wall Mart: White Tube 4 5/8" Long with Black Removable Cap. 1/2 " Diameter with a ball inside that you can shake. When the cap is removed a felt tip is exposed that is used to run the edges. The thing is called an Acrylic Touch Up Marker. My present one has lasted for about four months. Hundreds of labels.

You can also go to the drug store and get black fingernail acrylics that are much higher priced that work also.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster