I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

RDA?
Posted by: Andy Jones (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 23, 2010 06:02PM

I am have recently started getting into CCS/URSS and have heard about RDA. Can someone point me in the right direction with a link or a word I can search for RDA. It seem that the search function does not support 3 letter words as I get 0 results.

Thank You,
Andy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: RDA?
Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.reverse.vilayer.com)
Date: April 23, 2010 06:09PM

It is not part of the CCS but was taken FROM the CCS Big Picture where you are working with specific lengths of a given rod and not necessarily the entire length of the blank. I have heard of at least that one and one other "system" that were spawned from the CCS.

Posted by: Andy Jones (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 23, 2010 06:15PM

I understand it is not part of CCS and that Is why I would like to research it and any other system out there. I would like to make an educated decision on which system to start using for all blanks I build on.

Posted by: mike harris (---.dhcp.sffl.va.charter.com)
Date: April 23, 2010 10:51PM

“you are working with specific lengths of a given rod and not necessarily the entire length of the blank. “

This is one of those pieces of disinformation that simply won’t die. RDA’s working length is simply an agreed upon location to support a blank of any given length to insure consistent results while making measurements, it achieves the exact same thing as 10% of blank length used by CCS. This is for the “official” measurement to make sure every blank is measured the same way and can be compared equally, we are only talking about a few inches difference in where the blank is supported.

If a rod builder wants to gain more insight into how different length handles will affect their finished rod they can move the point the blank is supported forward or back whether he measures power in grams or pennies, this is neither RDA nor CCS, but it can provide valuable information if you choose to use it.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: April 23, 2010 11:16PM

It is worth noting that with CCS you deflect 1/3 the blank length, and with RDA you deflect 1/3 the working length. If you deflect a few mag bass blanks to 1/3 the blank length you will see why RDA is preferred by some. I do both just so I have the data.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 24, 2010 08:27AM

Chuck,

You can do the same thing with the CCS - read "The Big Picture."

The CCS allows you measure the inherent properties of any portion of the blank's length you choose. If you wish to have the measurements for the naked blank as it is supplied, you would take your 1/3rd distance from the overall length. If you want to know what you'd have from the reel seat forward, or any other length, you take your measurement from that length. You can support the blank at different places and/or slide the weight back from the tip to mimic what you'll have if you trim the blank at those points, or just to have the information on a specific portion or length. It's quite versatile in that regard.

The CCS data the manufacturers such as North Fork supply are for the overall blank, just as their other measurements such as length, weight, action, etc., are for the overall naked blank as they supply it. But you can certainly take the measurement at other points and for other lengths to get the information you need for any specific purpose.

Andy,

Check with Mike and I'm sure he can supply you with information on the RDA thing.

Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.reverse.vilayer.com)
Date: April 24, 2010 09:13AM

Not my intent to spread bad info. Sorry if I did. But I do know that without the CCS the RDA would never have come about and would not exist today. It was not an original system. It was taken from the CCS by modifying some aspects of the CCS.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster