I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

graphite reel seat for 12wt tarpon rod
Posted by: Jay Weissler (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 21, 2010 08:37PM

Is there a standard size graphite seat size that will be safe to hold most 12 wt reels?

does any one make a graphite seat that works well with a removable fighting butt?

thx

Jay

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: graphite reel seat for 12wt tarpon rod
Posted by: Rob Hale (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: April 21, 2010 09:29PM

Any size 16 will work. Go to an 18 if you like. Either will hold any fly reel on the market. In fact these are about the only seats you can count on to hold any fly reel out there. I think you can build your fighting butt on one of the removable lock nuts if they still make those. I just put a two inch butt right on the rod butt and bring the seat down against that.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: April 22, 2010 07:32AM

Jay, ask lots of questions. I need all the help I can get:) I just placed an order for the same blank last night. I'm toying with the idea of a removable butt so I can fish it as a spinner or a fly rod. Not sure what's possible. My only fly rod experience is limited to throwing popping bugs on a 7 weight back when I lived in Tenn. for a few years.

I haven't got a clue when it comes to building fly rods so I'll be watching your posts.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 22, 2010 08:18AM

The topic of removable fighting butts and how to make them for any of the graphite/nylon seats was fully covered in RodMaker a few years back. You can craft any butt style of your choosing on one of the Quick-Lock hoods and then install that on the back of the seat. It then functions both as your uplocking nut and fighting butt. If you choose to remove it, just unscrew it and/or replace it with the standard locking nut. It's extremely versatile and works remarkably well.

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 22, 2010 09:07AM

I would use an A8 or A8.5 fly reel seat if it were me. Several manufacturers make removable fighting butt to fit this reel seat.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster