I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

blank to match what customer wants
Posted by: Jim Creed (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 21, 2010 07:36PM

based on what i see in my books i may need to advise this customer on something else. this is his request. 7'2" worm rod ,casting, he uses 8-12# line 1/4 to 3/4 oz lures wants the rod medium power, with fast action. stainless guide rings, which i have not looked for yet, still trying to find a blank, everything i find is 7' or 7'6"
this is my first customer that i do not know, saw one of my rods i built for a friend, i sure want to get this one right. he is a g-loomis and st. croix fan right now.

suggestions are needed so far i found a mhx, rain forest and two rain shadow blanks that may work. but they are all 7'

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2010 07:37PM by Jim Creed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: blank to match what customer wants
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 21, 2010 08:05PM

If you have the RodMaker with Bill Colby's article about establishing a baseline, I'd recommend going that route. You need to find what he has now, what he likes and feels is his best rod for the intended purpose, and then work from that point.

I'd look at 7' models, find the most appropriate one and simply extend the blank a couple inches. I think that'll be the simplest and most effective way to do this.

Posted by: Jason Cosby (---.sub-75-253-138.myvzw.com)
Date: April 22, 2010 07:39AM

I agree with Tom. You won't find a 7'2" blank, but plenty of 7' choices. Check out the CRB Inshore series from Mudhole/Lamiglass. Very impressive and the price is right. 1/4-3/4 is a huge range, though. The ISP703 looks to be your baby, 7', 6-12#, 1/4-1/2 oz. It will throw 3/4, though it will be slightly overloaded. I'd explain that the power required to throw 1/4 oz. isn't the same as the power required to throw 3/4. He's really talking about two different rods here. The Loomis blanks are just about gone, so you're going to have a hard time finding what you need in that line. The SJ843 is still available in Spin Jig, though, so you might check that one out. It will cover the lure range requested, but at four times the cost of the ISP703.

I'd never put rings with no insert on a bass rod and warranty anything but the wraps. Does he want straight stainless or stainless with insert? If he wants inserts, you can't beat the Alps LXN for stripper/reduction guide(s) (they're very light and tough) then Alps fly or Batson micros out to the tip.

Jason Cosby
Cos Rods

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: April 22, 2010 08:35AM

Lamiglas has the IMC864 and LMB864. Both are 86" (7' 2"). I have the CCS data on both at home. I think the IMC would fit your need if you want a 7' 2" without extending. It's faster than the LMB864.

Posted by: justin keithley (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: April 22, 2010 08:57AM

if you're looking along the lines of the rx7 - MB843 is a solid choice for 1/4 to 1/2 oz texas rigs. I would imagine the MHX MB843 would be as well. You can always extend the butt section 2".

I don't think you will find a "M" action blank that will handle 3/4 baits very will. In fact, the 843 is listed as "MH" and a 3/4 oz would be a bit much for it. I have 2 identical 843s that is use personally for 1/4-1/2oz jigs/t-rigs.

Regards,
-Justin

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 22, 2010 12:14PM

Jim,
Just check this St. Croix Catalog page:

[stcroixrods.com]

Check the specifications on these various rods. Compare the specifications of these various rods to the needs of your customers, then go to Batson, and compare their rod specifications to the needs of your customers - then take the small number of rods selected, and compare it to other manufacturers and blanks availalble.
You will come to the correct solution very quickly.
Roger

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: April 22, 2010 04:40PM

Buy the correct seven foot blank from any sponsor on this forum -

When you build the rod and put on the butt cap you will add 3/4 inch.

When you put on tip top you add roughly 1/4 inch.

Sell him the rod and tell him not to measure it - go fishing.

If he can tell one inch is missing ask him to let us in on his secret!

Or contact Swampland - we have MB843 blanks in that weight range available for custom trimming.

Let him cut it to his specifications if it will make him happy!

Posted by: Jim Creed (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 22, 2010 06:33PM

thanks for the info guys, i personally want to keep it as light as possible, and am going to talk to him some more on why he don't want anything but metal inserts.
I agree he almost wants a multi purpose rod, and i intend on asking him a lot of questions, even thought of a check sheet so he can't say thats not what he wanted.
hey if he ain't happy i got room for a couple more. can't have too many.

once again thanks for the input, its homework time on my part.

i am also going to ask him about balance versus tip heavy, I know that opens a big door for debate, i like the feel of a rod thats pretty close to balanced at reel or at end of reel seat, but its not for me.

funny when you make some for friends and give them away its a lot different than selling one to somebody when it comes to decisions on what to do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2010 06:38PM by Jim Creed.

Posted by: Jim Williams (---.dr02.shlw.az.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 26, 2010 10:36AM

You said you found 7'-6" blanks. It should not be that difficult for a 7'-6" blank to become a 7'-2" blank....saw off 4"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster