I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

help with a bulid I've never done.
Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.233.---)
Date: April 20, 2010 01:26PM

I haven't built a non-fly rod in years so I need some help here.
I've got an order for a casting rod.
The guy is using a Zebco 33 reel.
I'm thinking of using a custom builder 5'6" IS561L blank and a tcsm seat which is what is guy is looking for.
I'll probably use alconites for guides.
My question is on the grip. can I go with a straight rear and fore or should I think about a pistol rear and straight fore.
i know it's the customers decision but I want to offer some options.

Am I going down the right road here?
All suggestions are welcome and thanks for them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: help with a bulid I've never done.
Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 20, 2010 01:57PM

I doubt you'll need a foregrip on a rod that short. For me, pistol grips have not been a hit. But, like you said, all you can do is offer options and let your customer decide. Sounds like you're on the right track.

What are you thinking as far as guide layout? Find out what he's using for line/knots/leaders and report back. You'll get some good advice on a guide layout.

jeremy

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 20, 2010 04:21PM

Pistol grips were the norm for many, many years on nearly all freshwater casting rods. They do feel comfortable, but perhaps leave a little to desire when fighting a fish - it all comes off your wrist.

I'd mock up both styles of handles and put them in your customer's hand. Let him decide. If you do a straight grip, don't make it overly long. Just 6 or 7 inches is likely enough. I assume he'll be casting one-handed.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.233.---)
Date: April 20, 2010 04:45PM

OK, so I'm getting a mental picture here. Short (7") rear grip, trigger seat, then some type of check or hosel to finish off the front of the seat.

I've thought about photo shopping the pictures from a catalog and pasting them together to look at a finished product. I may just have to try it with this one.

Posted by: Richard Hahn (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 21, 2010 07:51AM

A custom made rod for a $5 reel .......... your kidding ......... I used them as a kid and my daughter caught her 1st fish on one 25 years ago .......... brings back fun memories but that reel won't handle a decent or large fish

Posted by: gary Marquardt (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: April 21, 2010 08:09AM

I beg your pardon, that's a $25 reel, LOL.

I know what you mean. But that's what the customer wants so that's what it is.
Now that we know what kind of reel what about guides?

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: April 21, 2010 09:52AM

The reel hood opening is your first "guide", so there is no reason to go with anyhting bigger than that for your butt guide, except to get the height that you want. I would think that a 16 or even a 12 would work for the butt guide, then maybe a 10 or 8. Size 4.5 runners, if you're going with Alonites.

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: April 21, 2010 04:34PM

The hole that the line comes out is about the same size as a #6 guide so there is no reason to use anything bigger than that. The simplest layout would be to just use all the same size guides, micros would be my preference I like the #4 Alconite, but you could use #6 guides if you or your customer isn’t comfortable with micros. The other thing to think about is that these reels are pretty high off of the blank so some kind of transition down to the running guides may be appropriate. A system that may work out really trick would be to use a #6 super high frame match guide for the first guide, then a #6 spinning guide, then your running guides either #6 fly guides or micros. This would be kind of a concept system with all the same size rings just varying the height.

Since the reel is on top you could certainly consider a spiral wrap, then whatever your preferred spiral system is I am sure it would work fine.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster