I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

need help finding items
Posted by: Andrew Wright (---.wavecable.com)
Date: April 18, 2010 10:55PM

Hey I have looked at few different places for a 20.0 top any ring size perferably 10 or less and then a 22.0 top with a similar ring size.

The reason being I cut a couple 8'6" 40# salmon mooching rods down to 6' for halibut rods since we have short seasons in WA and no reason to invest in new rod this year. I have measured the new top locations and the tube sizes are 0.313 and 0.341 so a top 20.0 and 22.0 will suit well.

I am planning on making a couple large orders with mudhole and utmost, but I havent seen a top that large. I am hoping the veterans and rookies will be able to me out with this one.

Thank you all.

Andrew
Port Orchard, WA
The Pacific Northwest

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: need help finding items
Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: April 18, 2010 11:37PM

Batson makes some 20.0 and 22.0 sleeves on tips. I have never been able to sort through the alphabet soup, but if you were to call them tomorrow - I bet you get the right answer. They are just down the street from you ... same time zone.

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 18, 2010 11:39PM

Go to the Batson site (link at left), pick your top, then give the part # to Utmost. Batson's got 'em. We stock some porkers like that, but you're probably drifting into at least the land of #12 rings with that tube size.

Edit - Sorry Jim, typing at the same time!

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2010 11:40PM by Mark Griffin.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 19, 2010 12:06AM

Andrew,
The simple solution is to simply tie a guide on the tip of the rod.
But, with such a stout rod, you likely want a well braced rod that is not typical of any guide available.
Take care
Roger

Posted by: Andrew Wright (---.wavecable.com)
Date: April 19, 2010 01:24AM

Yeah the rods are cheepos from wally world that are solid blanks. i thought about wrapping a guide at the top
but it wouldnt seem feasable with this situation.

I figured someone would have tips for thick halibut or stand up tuna rods.

Mark, i have seen 20 tubes with 12 rings and i was just hoping they were any with 10 rings or less.

Jim to be honest, i went through half of the pages at batson.com but i wasnt sure if i was looking at the same tipsor not, they all start looking the same after a while haha i have there catalog somewhere around here. it will be a lot easier to look at them in a book i think

thank you all and i hope these "half rods" work out there

Andrew
Port Orchard, WA
The Pacific Northwest

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 19, 2010 09:49AM

If you're a subscriber to RodMaker, there was an article on a technique developed by Ken Preston a few years ago showing how to modify and wrap a double footed casting guide to serve as a tiptop. This allows you to choose the ring diameter of your preference. It's pretty slick.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 19, 2010 01:16PM

Andrew,
If you can find a tip with a size 12 ring, why don't you simply run a size 12 guide to the tip and call it good.
You are talking about a pool cue rod here, so weight is certainly not the issue. With the size line you are running, it certainly won't matter if you are running size 10 guides or size 12 guides to the tip section.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 20, 2010 01:20AM

Andy, I have some #22 heavy duty tops in chrome for salt water rods, more like a 16 ring or about that. Send me an E-Mail if you want more info. Dennis

Posted by: Andrew Wright (207.14.37.---)
Date: April 20, 2010 01:33PM

Problem Solved

I talked to Utmost and got the tops I needed.
For future reference they are the BSTLT12R20.0 & 22.0 from Batson.

I will be picking up a large order this weekend to do a couple of rods and these
tops will be included.

Thank you very much Carol from Utmost!

Andrew
Port Orchard, WA
The Pacific Northwest

Posted by: Mick Batson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 20, 2010 01:48PM

Your welcome Andrew! The tops are already here ready for pick up.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster