I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Alaska Rodbuilders
Posted by: Kirk_Miller (---.gci.net)
Date: April 18, 2010 04:48PM

Greetings to everyone, and a BIG thank you to everyone that came out to the Alaska Rodbuilding Gathering yesterday. We had another good turnout. Throughout the day we had 6-8 people show up. John Lubben even came down from Fairbanks. There is one more rodbuilder in the world today. Frank Wilkinson came out to learn how to build rods. He was walked through the entire process and given many points of view on different aspects of rodbuilding one of which came down to the inevitable discusion of "The Rod Spline". Through a gruop effort he is now able to perform Guide wraps with trim bands. I fumbled my way through a discussion on decorative wraps. As prepared as you thing you can be for something, usually turns out to be half-prepared. I will do better next time. Pete Pickett showed up with his homebuilt wrapper/lathe. He had less than $20 into it, that doesn't include the drill which he already had. He develeoped an interesting technic for drying the rod with out a dryer motor. He simply turned on the stove, and slowly rotated it above the heat by HAND. I was amazed at the results he got. I hope everyone had a good time, and everyone took something home with them. I will post pictures shortly.

Kerry Batson recently mentioned the name of an "Alaskan Rodbuilder" that I am begining to think is an Urban Legend. Sightings of him are as rare as sightings of Sasquatch, or BigFoot. I am not going to namedrop, give out his initials or anything like that, but maybe if I poke Paul Rotkis in the ribs a few times he will make an appearance at one of the gatherings. Poke Poke Paul, you should make an appearance one of these days. May 22nd will be the last gathering before our summer break and we enjoy the company of all rodbuilders.

Or if anyone has photos, or sightings of this mythical creature called Pal Rotkis, with rodbuilding equipment in hand please forward them as proof of his existance.

I didn't take many pictures as I was wrapped up (no pun intended) in all the procedings. There are a few though, I will post them today

Kirk

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Alaska Rodbuilders
Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.reverse.vilayer.com)
Date: April 18, 2010 04:51PM

To get eight builders in a state so big and sparsely populated is a pretty good turnout. Give yourself and all the guys a slap on the back!

Posted by: Kirk_Miller (---.gci.net)
Date: April 18, 2010 05:38PM

Thank you Pete.............I am pleased with the turnout, and the best part is that I have had even more interest. If we break into the double digits the next gathering I wouldn't be suprised, and I will be very pleased. I again offer my thanks to everyone that has comeout, and it will only get better with time.

Kirk

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 18, 2010 05:57PM

Great job Kirk!! Build it and they will come.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 18, 2010 06:25PM

Awesome! Keep it up

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: John Lubben (---.static.gci.net)
Date: April 19, 2010 05:29AM

I had a great time. I saw some really interesting new ideas and had some great discussions with everyone. There was no "wrong" way of doing things, just different ways. We covered several ways of doing many things. While I wish it was closer to me in Fairbanks, I will come to another one. Maybe not every one. Too spendy. )

Those that missed it, sure did miss out.)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster