I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Terry Henson
Posted by: Terry Goode (70.248.191.---)
Date: April 15, 2010 08:47AM

is Terry Henson still active on this board?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Terry Henson
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 15, 2010 08:58AM

Do a search and you can see the last date he posted. The administration page shows him here as of this past February.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: April 15, 2010 12:35PM

i believe he was taking a big trip this spring and he may be on it now

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: April 15, 2010 01:48PM

You're 1/2 right John...

His WIFE is taking the trip and is about to leave. He's busy planning HIS time I think. lol

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Mark Griffin (63.170.77.---)
Date: April 15, 2010 07:34PM

I am around..........I check on the board now and then..usually daily.....I am busy making plans ...as Mark says, for the next 3 weeks of Single Life...(with rules) as my wife tours half of Africa....and leaves me alone....(evil laugh)

I have made some rods and gone fishing a few times..........and I am basically enjoying life. Missed the last show.....oops...sorry, but just wasn't in the cards for me to attend and I can honestly say I REALLY MISSED SEEING THE FRIENDS I HAVE MADE ON THIS SITE AND AT THE SHOWS. ...that I miss the most .......I could build a couple nice Sage FLY Rods for the airfare and expenses of the trip and chose to do that..sorry Tom.........and thanks to ACID ROD for having a good inventory for my addiction......thanks Mark and Colleen

I pretty much keep my work to myself and a few close friends I fish with these days. But maybe one of these days I will post some more of my work.....but as for now, I am holding my truely inspired work close to me, with the exception of a few close friends that visit my home now and then..., I pretty much shy away from showing my work or even mentioning it to anyone anymore..........I have now realized that even when I made a rod for me with no specific thoughts in mind, it was inspired and special to me.....more than I realized... I have shared some of my best work on this site since I joined a few years ago and that work is here for everyone to look at..........But I think my days of posting pictures of my work on any site are over......sorry, I am choosing to keep my work closer to me these days and I am really not interested in showing photos of my work.

But you may shoot me an email or even stop by the house..... as time permits.....and we can gladly have a glass of wine....talk and you can look, touch, cast, feel and take pictures all you want. My house is always open to my friends

Peace

Sincerely,

Terry

Posted by: Mark Griffin (63.170.77.---)
Date: April 15, 2010 07:34PM

I am around..........I check on the board now and then..usually daily.....I am busy making plans ...as Mark says, for the next 3 weeks of Single Life...(with rules) as my wife tours half of Africa....and leaves me alone....(evil laugh)

I have made some rods and gone fishing a few times..........and I am basically enjoying life. Missed the last show.....oops...sorry, but just wasn't in the cards for me to attend and I can honestly say I REALLY MISSED SEEING THE FRIENDS I HAVE MADE ON THIS SITE AND AT THE SHOWS. ...that I miss the most .......I could build a couple nice Sage FLY Rods for the airfare and expenses of the trip and chose to do that..sorry Tom.........and thanks to ACID ROD for having a good inventory for my addiction......thanks Mark and Colleen

I pretty much keep my work to myself and a few close friends I fish with these days. But maybe one of these days I will post some more of my work.....but as for now, I am holding my truely inspired work close to me, with the exception of a few close friends that visit my home now and then..., I pretty much shy away from showing my work or even mentioning it to anyone anymore..........I have now realized that even when I made a rod for me with no specific thoughts in mind, it was inspired and special to me.....more than I realized... I have shared some of my best work on this site since I joined a few years ago and that work is here for everyone to look at..........But I think my days of posting pictures of my work on any site are over......sorry, I am choosing to keep my work closer to me these days and I am really not interested in showing photos of my work.

But you may shoot me an email or even stop by the house..... as time permits.....and we can gladly have a glass of wine....talk and you can look, touch, cast, feel and take pictures all you want. My house is always open to my friends

Peace

Sincerely,

Terry

Posted by: Ben Lee (---.lax.megapath.net)
Date: April 15, 2010 09:11PM

Mr. Terry Henson,

You boldly announced to your 30 guests last year at OC that you would shares your knowledge and make sure that nothing kept as "secret".
Thank you for inspiring us and you surely demonstrate your ability using feather inlays.

Ben

Posted by: Terry Goode (70.248.191.---)
Date: April 15, 2010 10:18PM

Terry, this is another Terry, i had sent you an email from your web site a while ago asking about your tools you had/made for your "scrimshaw".

did you make your own, but after reading your msg about not displaying your work, i guess asking if you could either show or tell me how to make my own tools would be out of the question.

well thank you for your time.
Terry G.

Date: April 15, 2010 10:20PM

If a builder chooses to keep his work and methods to himself, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Far too often a builder who freely shares is taken advantage of. Not by all, but enough for it to be somewhat discouraging in some instances. The thing to keep in mind is that no one is entitled to another's "secrets." Having someone share with you is a privilege, not a right. Terry has certainly gone beyond the call of duty in sharing his methods and techniques. If he chooses to withdraw a bit that's certainly within his right.

One thing that greatly contributes to folks continuing to share concerns giving credit where it is due. You'll notice that I often admonish folks to say, for instance, "Throop Tiger Wrap" instead of just "Tiger Wrap." Or the "Forhan Locking Wrap" instead of just "Locking Wrap." These folks haven't made any real money off their innovations - the least they can expect is a little bit of satisfaction in knowing that their technique will at least carry their name into the future. It's a fair thing to do.

The internet tends to disavow credit for anything by anybody. Information trickles down without any credit, such as what you get in a magazine byline. More and more, folks who rely on the internet for information may not even know who invented or created something. All the more reason to give credit whenever the opportunity presents itself. The rod building community should do more of this.

Hardly a week goes by when I'm not contacted by someone who is not and never will be a subscriber to the magazine, and who boldly requests a free pdf file of a magazine article, or a lengthy personal reply to a list of rod building questions. When I explain why I won't or can't accommodate them, the response is usually that I'm a bad guy who's just "in it for the money" and who just doesn't want to "share." I really hate to see a handful of rod builders turn the word "sharing" into a synonym for "getting something for nothing."

Date: April 15, 2010 10:33PM

Terry G.,

Scrimshaw tools, and how to use them, were explained and detailed in a recent issue of RodMaker. Check the Volume 11 #5 issue for complete details. Jeffrey and Rhonda Van Zandt shared some great information in that article. It might provide you with the information you're looking for.

Posted by: Ben Lee (159.83.196.---)
Date: April 16, 2010 10:37AM

Tom,

I was hoping that Mr. Terry Henson will do more Seminars at OC. We surely enjoyed it !. We did paid admission for it, no ?

Ben

Date: April 16, 2010 10:53AM

I'm sure you did, but that's not my point. Sharing information is a wonderful thing but we have to remember that you're not automatically entitled to that information (unless you do pay for it). When someone shares a technique or method with you it's a gift, and should you end up using that information in your own rod building endeavors, you'll surely want to somehow give credit when you show your work or take photos of it.

And should a request for information go unanswered or be denied, no one should label the builder as "unwilling to share" or "keeping secrets." That's simply unfair. Many of these folks spent years developing their techniques and methods and have every right to safeguard and profit from them if they wish. The first thing I ask authors who submit information for RodMaker articles is, "Are you sure you want me to publish this, or would you rather keep it to yourself?" I know what's going to happen once it's unveiled in the magazine and thus I always ask the author to carefully consider if he wants thousands of other builders to have access to his information.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 16, 2010 02:15PM

TOm, you couldn't be more accurate when it comes to sharing info. It's insulting for people to expect others to tel thm how to do something. YOu spend so much time, money, energy, and crative thinking to figure somthing out, and then some lazy SOB expects you to tell them every detail. It's a major turn off, and the actions of a few SOB's realy do ruin it for those that are genuinely appreciative. I have pretty much stopped giving specific info on how I do things, it's just not fair to me. I know a LOT of others feel the same way. This is why Rodmaker magazine exists, information is much more valuable than a blank or a guide, yet it's the one thing many people refuse to spend money for. Look at how much collge costs, that shoudl tell you how valuable info is.

Posted by: Ben Lee (---.lax.megapath.net)
Date: April 16, 2010 02:38PM

Mr. Billy Vivona wrote,"Look at how much collge costs, that shoudl tell you how valuable info is."

There are various courses available on line via Youtube from good college such as MIT, CalTech and other famous institution for free. Complete course for those who cannot afford tuition (Science,Math,Physic,Mechanical Engineering,Electric Engineering). I know because I've used it.

Ben

Date: April 16, 2010 03:09PM

Ben,

There is a big difference between asking for little tips and tricks or perhaps specific information on something that's not perfectly clear, and expecting someone to give you a full education on a technique or method particularly when that information is available, even if for a fee. The former is part of the overall rod building community and most folks are happy to offer help and assistance when needed - this forum is proof of that. The latter can become a real turn-off as Billy noted. Ask folks like Bill Stevens, Rich Forhan, Bill Colby and others what their experience has been after writing articles for the magazine. They've all been inundated by folks who refuse to buy a magazine and then request, sometimes demand, a free copy of an article or a detailed treatise on the subject via email. When they refuse, they've had to deal with some pretty irate folks. That's pretty distasteful any way you cut it.

But getting back to the original intent of this topic - Terry has stated that he is limiting exposure and information about his work to himself and a few close friends these days. And it's his right to do that, for whatever reason he chooses. He certainly doesn't owe anyone anything.

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net)
Date: April 16, 2010 03:46PM

As a beginner and very amateur rod builder I appreciate so much the sharing at Rodbuilding.org and Rodmaker. It has inspired me to do higher quality work and to be more creative on my rods. To copy someones style is not to be creative. Terry Henson's feather inlays and beautiful grips are just the most unique and gorgeous I have ever seen, real treasure.

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 16, 2010 11:31PM

Tom, RIGHT ON!! I never give a Color Change weaving presentation without first thanking ART DURHAM for writing the two articles in the old RodCrafters journal about how to make the hanging weight Loom and the basics about how to use it. I am SOOOOO greatful! Simulatly so for other techniques others have shown me.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 17, 2010 02:52PM

Kerry, that's good to hear. When I talk about EVA inlays, I do everything I can to make sure people know who Bernie Cohen is, as he took me under his wing and pushed me in the direction I went in.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster