I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Off Topic- Fishing Near Redding, CA
Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 13, 2010 12:00PM

Please forgive me Tom, I know this does not pertain to rod building (well, maybe some of it will).

I am going to be in the Redding, CA area the first week of November and I'm looking for advice/wisdom on where to fish and what techniques to use. I have no experience fishing in CA, but I prefer not to fly fish and I have two pack rods that I'll be building for the trip. They are a 2S66MLF-3 and a 7' medium power, fast action three-piece that I picked up from Bingham awhile ago (sweet blank for $35).

I'm not looking to hire a guide so any input will be appreciated.

thanks,
jeremy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Off Topic- Fishing Near Redding, CA
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 13, 2010 12:38PM

Kevin Brock is a guide for that area. I know your not wanting to hire one but he's a great guy & would at least give you the info you seek if you contact him. Just Google his website & call him.

Tell him the dog lover said HI!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Lynn Williams (---.we.res.rr.com)
Date: April 13, 2010 02:24PM

Jeremy,

Stop in Phil Pros [www.philsprop.com] he does prop repair but he also has a large tackle shop, he is always good about sharing information about what's bitting. He is located a little north of Redding CA but only a few miles from Shasta Lake the lake has many fish Species, here are a few rainbow trout, brown trout, Chinook salmon, largemouth bass, spotted bass, smallmouth bass, black crappie, bluegill, carp.
Also the Sacramento River runs through Redding and there are a couple of tackle shop in Redding I just can't think of theirs names, it been a few years since I lived in Northern California.
I would jump on the web and search the fishing in the Redding and Lake Shasta area, have fun.

Lynn Williams

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: April 13, 2010 04:54PM

I've caught an awfully lot of big rainbows drifting worms in the Sacramento River.

Posted by: Walt Natzke (---.dhcp.trlk.ca.charter.com)
Date: April 14, 2010 02:36AM

The Lower Sacramento is a world class trout river, and it fishes well nearly all year long. Follow the advice above.

Walt Natzke
Ripon, CA

Date: April 14, 2010 08:38AM

Does fishing the Sacramento require a boat? How large of a body of water is it?

Thanks for all of the advice, I've got some research to do!

thanks,
jeremy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2010 08:38AM by Jeremy Wagner.

Posted by: Walt Natzke (12.22.21.---)
Date: April 15, 2010 07:35PM

Jeremy,

I know you are not flyfishing, but you can get a great deal of good information by calling The Fly Shop in Redding. It is possible to wade the Lower Sac at times and in certain places, but it depends entirely on the flows at the time you are fishing.
In November, the river should be wadeable, but having never waded it, I can't provide you with exact locations.

Walt Natzke
Ripon, CA

Date: April 16, 2010 09:59AM

Walt,

Thanks for the info, I'll give them a call.

jeremy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster