I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Metal ferrules
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 09, 2010 10:07AM

Any tips I should know of when using metal ferrules. Any one ever have any trouble with them like not coming apart, mail end coming off ??

Thanks

Bill - willierods.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Metal ferrules
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 09, 2010 09:17PM

Are you talking about the ferrules for a Bamboo fly rod?

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 10, 2010 02:56AM

Wilie, Any rod that has metal ferrules has to be taken apart and cleaned after every use.
Any ferrule that wont come apart needs to be treated with KROIL penetrating oil, its the best I know of. Apply a few drops to the ferrule joint, let it sit overnight, roll the jointed area against a hard surface like a outdoor hand rail or a table edge ( this will help break up the corrosive bond ) Some one may suggest applying heat and in some cases it works, but you might end up removing the ferrule from the rod. Rod Bond puts em right back on again to a no fail solution.
Ever have a ferrule that was too loose to stay together, sections keep being misaligned, tip section ejecting at the follow thou of a cast ? A light tap with a center punch in the male end face will expand the surface area which may be enough to get you a tighter fit.(this is a temporary fix that you might have to do in the field using a nail or another pointed object as a center punch.
I'm gonna need change if you want more TIPS! I'm from Jersey too.

Date: April 10, 2010 05:59AM

This is on a spin/fly rod I am building. The first one I built I used graphite ferrules. Don't know if I am going to like them but thought I would give them a try. Doing a good prep on the gluing surfaces.
Gluing graphite to metal makes me nervous.

Is there a good lube I should use for the male to female surfaces ?

Dennis where in Jersey you from ?

Thanks

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2010 06:20AM by bill boettcher.

Date: April 10, 2010 08:50AM

Hey Willie, I'm from Sayreville in Middlesex county.Feel free to contact me anytime or if you need something. I have alot of metal ferrules that can be used on micro-lite size'd rods and almost all larger sizes just sittin on the shelf.
LET ME KNOW IF i COULD HELP YOU,
Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: April 10, 2010 08:57AM

Dennis
Are you saying you don't use them much ? If so why?

Bill - willierods.com

Date: April 10, 2010 10:11AM

Bill, I only use metal ferrules as replacements or for repairs of the old style fiberglass rods. Sometimes the old timers want a 2 pc rod and dont care what it looks like or how it fishes, as long as they can get it in their trunk. Most of the time they are low income/ retires who keep all their gear in the trunk .In most cases the job ends up being a charity case. Another thing is that metal ferrules are rigid and dont flex. I would not use them with graphite rods. The good thing about metal ferrules are that its a quick fix, just measure for size, cut, and use Rod Bond to glue it up.If you can buy and wear shoes, you can do a ferrule job.
PS: In order to hide the ferrule, after the bond has cured fit the rod sections together as you would to fish, put the rod in your lathe/wrapper and wrap with a thread color that matches the blank.Wrap both ends of the ferrule to hide all visible metal. The only thing tat should show is a little chrome ring. That's how I do it with no complaints.
Sorry for being so slow on the keys, but I use the hunt and peck method of typing. Dennis

Date: April 10, 2010 11:47AM

heck I only use two fingers LOL And I have typing software but never use it ?

After I do this rod and use them I will decide if I will; keep using them. Tried them cause I was reading the article in one of the Rod-builder mags Figured I give them a shot.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 10, 2010 01:03PM

Dennis,

Bill is not using these for making a multi-piece rod - he's building a handle ferrule with them.

Date: April 10, 2010 05:50PM

Bill/Tom, Do you mean locking ferrule into reel seat or a fighting butt attachment for a fly rod? If you are,same advice. Keep em clean.
Even a one track mind gets derailed goin round the bend, Dennis

Date: April 10, 2010 10:34PM

yes that is what I am doing according to the article in Rod-builder on spin / fly building. I just don't know if I will like them.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: April 11, 2010 02:23AM

Bill, I would think that with a multifunctional handle( I haven't read the article, but I assume the handle repositions to adapt to spin/fly) metal ferrules would provide a bit of security/strength. With a load on the rod,metal ferrules may be just the ticket for that butt joint connection. Whats not to like ,that's one less rod you have to carry and unlike pack-rods you have a one piece blank.That barrel nut can be disguised by fitting a piece of grip material to the rod blank, and after the connection is made pull the grip in to hide the joint.You'll just have to bore out the grip in that area to get a seamless fit to blend in with the rest of the handle.
Bill I'm sorry I got off track from the start, but I see no reason why you cant become satisfied with the results. As you get further into this build you'll find ways to conquer the difficulties and end up "as proud as a peacock". Have fun, Dennis
r

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster