I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

12 Wt. Extended Handle Fly Rod
Posted by: James Cunningham (---.dyn.everestkc.net)
Date: April 08, 2010 10:15AM

Entering new ground here. Building a 12 wt. 9' fly rod. Presume that it will be used for sail fish and will need a fighting butt. For leverage, to me, this fighting butt should be about 6" nad since I have not found any this long I am think about building a butt cap on the blank; then mounting the fly reel forward of this (kind of like a split grip spinning or bait casting rod.
Any thoughts on this? Also, how would you determine the distance between the fly grip and the 4"-6" extended foregrip??
Thanks for any help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 12 Wt. Extended Handle Fly Rod
Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.reverse.vilayer.com)
Date: April 08, 2010 10:21AM

You can do that but you end up giving up some real rod length if you make the fighting butt section on the blank itself. But that could be a good thing because for the best leverage you want a shorter rod anyway. I think it is a good idea and would do it that way.

There was an interesting grip in the magazine a while back that had the additional forward fighting grip just built on as part of the regular full wells fly grip. I think it was four or six inches long. Just a cigar shape formed onto the front of a regular full wells. The advantage of this I think, is that it keeps you from going to far forward which can result in moving your fighting hand beyond the main load bearing area of the blank and resulting in snapping a rod in the mid section.

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: April 08, 2010 10:26AM

I haven't built a 12 wt, yet, but here's something similar to what you're considering (I think) for the fighting butt/reel seat layout: [www.rodbuilding.org]
Keep in mind that if you have a 6 inch fighting butt, you've lost 6 inches of effective rod length, which may or may not matter to the user.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Posted by: Jim Williams (---.dr01.shlw.az.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 08, 2010 10:29AM

I use slip rings and the length of cork I choose. Seven inch, ten inch, 12 inch, 13 inch....whatever. I can put on any length of cork I want. I am building a spey rod and putting on 24" of cork grip. With the slip rings I can slide the reel up and down and anchor it where ever it pleases me.
Jim

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: April 08, 2010 11:18AM

James,
Batson sells an insert(FB2P1-SG or FB2P1-B) that fits A8 reel seats. You can use this insert to build your own fighting butt and it allows you to remove the fighting butt when it is not needed. This could be a solution to your problem.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: April 08, 2010 11:48AM

James, would you mention the model# of the blank. I have been eyeing one and wonder if it is the same. If so I have a few questions.

Would you ever care about the rod being IFGA legal? That requirement would have a lot to do with possible solutions.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Lane Pelissier (---.sip.lft.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 08, 2010 08:54PM

I agree with Russell. If there is any chance at all of going after IGFA records with this rod you need to build the rods to IGFA specifications. Which states, "Overall butt length may not exceed six inches when measured from the center of the reel foot to the end of the butt." This applies to single handed rods. Spey rods have other specification that aren't applicable in this situation.

Lane

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: April 08, 2010 09:56PM

You could look at extending thr foregrip to get the power you want, I think something like the Rainshadow switch rod grip. First time I saw a similar grip was on a saltwater fly rod.

Posted by: Will Dornan (---.static.forethought.net)
Date: April 11, 2010 02:49AM

I have built several 12 wts for tarpon and a 14wt for salifish with handles like Peter suggested. I do not like a split grip above the grip because you move the leverage point up the rod. I build a a continues grip that has a full well grip which is about 7 1/2" and a very thin cigar grip above it which is about 6". I always turn these grips after gluing all the rings on the blank. It is all one continues grip. They work great. The fighting butt on the 12's are not big extended things. Maybe they can be a little bigger around and maybe add one or two cork rings to extend the butt but don't over do it. I have landed pacific sails and tarpon with these style rods and I have about a 2 1/2" fighting butt on the rods.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster