I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide quality
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 07, 2010 04:43PM

I haven't experienced any issues myself, but I am hearing rumblings from a few rod builders about guide quality.

In some cases, the lesser quality seems to be localized to a particular guide in a particular series of a rod manufacturer.

Just wondering if any one has been having any issues that other folks would like to know about?

Take care
Roger

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide quality
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (24.145.81.---)
Date: April 07, 2010 05:23PM

Seems you know something that was important enough you thought it should be said. Seems you also know some pretty specific information about it.

Why just stir the pot?

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.fll.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 07, 2010 05:38PM

Roger without knowing what you are hinting at I can only say the following.

Several decades of saltwater fishing has me very happy to see 316 SS guides being offered.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 07, 2010 06:01PM

Roger;

You talking about the same guides you posted info on a while back.
Then declined to provide the necessary info to allow others to be aware of the situation

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 07, 2010 06:22PM

"I haven't experienced any issues myself, but I am hearing rumblings from a few rod builders about guide quality. "

A few rod builders? How many? Out of the 300,000 guys and gals that will build a rod this year, how many have you actually heard from?

You don't have to go far to hear a "few rod builders" rumble on about any number of things that aren't necessarily true. The key is to recognize the numbers for what they are and to remember that rumors travel fast particularly in these days of instant information exchange via the internet.

I have no idea what guides you're talking about nor whether there is an actual problem or not, but I'd advise folks not to get too carried away by the "rumblings" of a few rod builders with no face behind their comments to begin with. Even if Tunaman, OffshoreTycoon, Hooksetter1 and a dozen more anonymous rod builders said they had a problem with something, I wouldn't necessarily believe it. After all, you can easily find a couple dozen builders who will tell you that the ICRBE is a completely worthless event, and all the while over 2000 other rod builders think it's special enough to keep coming back. Just try to keep things in the proper perspective.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 07, 2010 07:42PM

Tom,
I couldn't agree with you more. As you said, I also haven't had any problems, but was simply asking for input from any builder who have actually had an issue with a guide?

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.sub-166-156-63.myvzw.com)
Date: April 07, 2010 10:45PM

Wow....what an enlightening subject....if you have valid info on a guide post it...if not what was the point? Have i ever had an issue with a guide? Sure.....

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 07, 2010 11:06PM

PRETTY OPEN ENDED!!! ! One could ask the same question on any component or product and start a thread full of questionable responses.

Posted by: Aaron Cavanaugh (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 08, 2010 08:01AM

I've heard from a few drivers that there is a certain line of cars that don't really perform all that well. At times they have had issues when they're driving them, and the service hasn't been very good for them either with this particular car maker. I haven't had any issues myself, but I'm wondering if any other drivers out there have had any similar type experiences that any of us other drivers might want to know about.

AC
FishinFreaks
Rogers, MN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2010 08:01AM by Aaron Cavanaugh.

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (---.afspc.af.mil)
Date: April 08, 2010 09:23AM

I'm not going to beat around ya roger, what have you heard? You spill it and someone may feel compelled to adjudicate what you've heard.

Posted by: Jim Williams (---.dr01.shlw.az.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 08, 2010 10:52AM

Geeeze guys. He simply asked for information. HE has heard things. He is simply asking the many many readers and rod builders on here if they know of, or have heard of any bad guides. I would ask that question about anything in rod building. From glue turning yellow, to bad thread, to color permanence to what ever. He just asked a question. He politely did not mention a guide and affect it's reputation. I think it is a reasonable question. I find no fault with it at all. In fact that is why I come on here. To ask questions and read people's opinions and get information on "everything" in rod building. I am quite the rookie. If I hear of a rumor, or ANYTHING that I am curious about.....I will come on here and ask a question abou it.

Jim

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: April 08, 2010 03:12PM

I'd like to hear the specifics too. Also, it may invite the manufacturer to become aware of the potential problem(s) (if there acutally are any) so that they may make any necessary corrections in order to please the customers. For example, in the past I've read about the extensive amount of guide foot preparation necessary to use a certain line of guides. The manufacturer chimed in, addressed the concerns and made the corrections, which resulted in follow up reports by the previously disgruntled rod builders indicating that these corrections have indeed been made and that the product is now "favorable". But, we AND the manufacturers need to hear about those specifics in order to remedy any potential problems.

Aaron, in the meantime, my Toyota is............

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster