I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Minima spinning real seat??
Posted by: Josh Clawson (---.static.midco.net)
Date: April 05, 2010 10:09AM

I am planning a buid on a S781-MHX. My goal with this rod to minimize weight. I am going to go with either Recoil or Minima guides, a split grip style handle and want a very light weight reel seat. I wanted to use the Pac Bay Minima seat, but ran into(what I think to be) a problem. THe butt dia of this blank is 0.295", and the smallest inside dia. that I can seem to find the Minima seat in is 9.5mm or 0.374". Is there any way to make this work?? I was also thinking of using a skeleton reel seat with 4 epoxy ramps(fore grips, ramping down and back up between reel seat, and rear grip), but I think this will defeat the purpose of my build. Any suggestions??
Thanks
Josh

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Minima spinning real seat??
Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: April 05, 2010 10:27AM

The Minima seats are not very light, especially in the smaller ID sizes they weigh almost as much as a regular seat. For what you want a split Tennessee handle would be the way to go. I make mine using the foam core carbon skinned system, they are super light and you never have to worry about the cork compressing.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.mthoar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: April 05, 2010 04:43PM

For a very light, compact, and reliable spin seat consider the Batson "pipe style".
Trim with the new FBWC or ACC winding checks also from Batson.

Here are some links;
[www.schneidersrods.com]

[www.schneidersrods.com]

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: April 05, 2010 06:17PM

Josh,
I would make sure that the real seat fits my hand comfortably, and go from there. A hand is always the same size, regardless of the blank diameter. For me, a spinning reel seat needs to fill the hand a bit to be user-friendly for all-day use. If I were building that rod, I would use a Pac Bay Areo seat, 2 inch rear grip, 2-3 inch butt grip, no fore grip. I like the Areo because it has a "hump" that fills the palm of the hand, making it the most comfortable spinning reel seat I've ever used.
George

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Posted by: James Hicks (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 05, 2010 08:28PM

I put a minima seat on a spinning rod and, as George mentions above, I found it very uncomfortable without the "hump" for the palm. Here's how I fixed mine...
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: justin keithley (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: April 05, 2010 11:05PM

i'm a big fan of the minima. i find it very comfortable as is. I don't close my hand over a spinning reel so the palm of my hand is not resting on top however. I do like it that i can touch the blank with at least 3 fingers.

That said - it does need a few modifications. 1st off - cut the threaded section down almost in half, it helps to know what type of reel you will be using to space it appropriatley.

Second, from the back side of the seat, use a dremel to remove material from the sized portion. Quite a bit can be removed with a small boring bit - this will help cut back on the weight. I usually cut mine out to look like a star - so there are 5 ribs left instead of a solid arbor.

Regards,
-Justin

Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.reverse.vilayer.com)
Date: April 06, 2010 09:36AM

The SBSS, Sticks and Bones Spinning Seat, is about all I use these days anymore. It is the lightest and most comfortable I have found. It just works! You will have to make your own but this allows for the greatest degree of customization possible. I forget what issue of the mag it was featured in but it was within the last half dozen issues. Can probably find it on the Rodmakers back issue page.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (137.219.190.---)
Date: April 07, 2010 01:27PM

I have been doing the Ergo-Skeleton using 16, 17 and 18 skeleton hardware for a few years now. Essentially it is the same as the SBSS (nice name), but uses both bits of the skeleton seat. You could also knock one up using a Super Sticker, or the sliding ring as shown in the SBSS pics.

For those that grip right over the reel (two fingers either side of the stem), the swell that fills the palm is the ergonomic feature that makes it so comfortable. Plus, as Peter mentioned, it is easily customisable to suit the user, and even to suit a particular reel.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster