I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Trout Blank Options
Posted by: Ray Mazza (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 05, 2010 09:53AM

Hey folks, been along time since I've posted. A quick question based on your personal fishing experiences and preferences...A blank no less than 6'6'' for Trout and Panfish with a fast to extra fast tip. Lures from 1/64 oz. Highly sensitive. I know what I've seen and felt, not how about input on your experiences. My preferences? Open to all options at this time as far as length, grip design, 1,2,4 piece and so on. Something new for myself to play with. Thanks in advance.
Ray
PS feel free to email me and we can even talk if you like.
midstreamrods@yahoo.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2010 09:53AM by Ray Mazza.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trout Blank Options
Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 05, 2010 10:57AM

Ray,
There are two models that would fit into your specs within the MHX line. The S781-MHX and the S841-MHX.

[www.mudhole.com]

Regards,

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Victor Heal (---.gdrpmi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: April 05, 2010 02:29PM

Hi Ray,

If you can give us a little more insight into how you are using the rod it would help.

1) How big is the water you are fishing?
2) How much brush is in the water and on the bank?
3) Are you honestly going to try and throw 1/64 oz without the help of a bubble bobber or something like that?
4) Inline spinners for trout and if so what sizes?

I personally like a shorter rod for trout than for panfish. The reason being that most of the trout waters close to home (Southern Michigan) are pretty brush choked. If I get into the White or the Au Sable or something a little bigger like that, then I might go with a 7' rod. Usually in a popping rod. For trout I fish an inline spinner thrown upstream and brought back down just fast enough to turn the blade over.

My personal favorite for longer rods is an IP840. It is a little softer than what you are looking for but I like it for throwing spinners in bigger water for trout. It allows them to grab the spinner well enough to hook themselves. I also like it for throwing an inline bobber (bubble) and a fly for gills on the beds. Having said that, I recently bought a NFC MB661 that I think is going to be pretty sweet for doing the same thing.

As far as setup goes I keep the rod as light as I can without sacrificing user friendlieness. I run a body pipe style reel seat like Fuji's NPS in a downlock position. No foregrip or rear grip, just the seat and some rod-bond to smooth it out. I cut the threads down as far as possible, butt cap on the end and done.

Am-Tak Titan guides or micros round out the build.

Hope this helped, sorry for the book
Vic

Posted by: Richard Glabach (158.72.186.---)
Date: April 05, 2010 02:47PM

I have built on the S841 and I am very happy with it. It is a 7 foot blank and is one piece.

Regards,
Rick

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.245.80.187.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: April 05, 2010 05:28PM

You might look at a fly blank like the Cabela's 764 2-piece 7'6" 4 weight.
Excellent trout rod, very reasonable price.

Eugene Moore

Posted by: Bob Mankin (---.nextweb.net)
Date: April 07, 2010 11:10AM

Second the 764 2-pc blank. I have one that was built for me and plan to build a couple myself on the Matrix AMF764. Great for trout and kokanee.

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: April 07, 2010 09:16PM

I use a 3S66LF for my trout fishing on the White River in Arkansas. It won't throw 1/64 all that well (I don't think), but I'm not sure anything will throw that little weight well. The 3S66LF is listed for 1/16 to 5/16. I use it to throw small Rapalas and small marabou jigs (down to 1/16 oz.).

Posted by: Ray Mazza (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 10, 2010 05:26PM

I plan to cast 1/64 to 1/16oz lure and live bait. THe rod will double as a casting bubble rod and the use of floats (very light). Inline spinners, tiny jigs and such will be used. Not much in the way of weed or brush, streams mostly. Looking to impart action to lures via the action and fast tip. Want to see how it play out. Thanks again. SIze of water will vary greatly as will the depths.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster