I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New Marketing
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: April 05, 2010 09:04AM

The truth in advertising thread got me looking at a few things and rather than pirate the thread, thought I would start a new one.

Something stuck out when I looked at the Duckett Fishing site today... there are no traditional line/lure ratings on any of the rods.

Look at this description: "Boyd's Suggested Uses: 1/8 oz shakey head, 1/2 oz drop shot, light worm" Other than that, it just says it's a 7' Medium Action.

The next rod is "tube, 1/4 oz shakey head, 3/8 oz drop shot, 1/4 oz texas rig worm"

I found this interesting. Others may not, but it could represent a new spin in matching the angler with the rod and creating a need for the angler to buy more rods - because "this one doesn't work with that, but this one sure does".

-----------------
AD

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Marketing
Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: April 05, 2010 09:12AM

You mean everyone doesn’t have a different rod reel combo for every lure they use?

Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.reverse.vilayer.com)
Date: April 05, 2010 10:30AM

Do not laugh............. I have panfish guys who want me to build them one rod for crickets, one rod for nightcrawlers, another rod for cheesebait, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. No kidding. Same thing the bass guys do I guess.

Posted by: justin keithley (---.dsl.klmzmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 06, 2010 09:42AM

personally, i rarely even look at the line or lure rating on a rod. the numbers kind of help when ordering a blank site unseen, but i think most bass guys buy a blank for a specific purpose (or set of purposes) and that type of desc would make a lot of sense to them.

In fact - judging by what most guys tell me they want in a rod, its probably better that way. Seems like everyone wants "Extra Fast" and nobody knows what that actually means... but fast is good right?? :)

Regards,
-Justin

Posted by: Rusty Byrley (---.houston-06rh15rt.tx.dial-access.att.net)
Date: April 07, 2010 07:20AM

Back in the days when mono was king line ratings mattered. Now with the influx of braid, line ratings mean little if nothing at all. Personally, the only thing I use mono on anymore is for leaders for my catfish rods. I use 40lb. Even my ultralites have 6lb braid to qa floro leader.

Posted by: jim spooner (69.179.110.---)
Date: April 07, 2010 12:38PM

Recently, I won a Skeet Reese rod in a drawing at a local tackle shop and decided to pay the dollar difference and upgrade to a Duckett “Micro Magic” rod (DFMM66MHC 6’-6”MH. “Recommended for 1/2 oz spinnerbaits, square bill crankbaits in timber.”) I CCS’d the rod and determined its power was about average for the med-heavy classification and the action was moderate.
I figured that I’d use this rod as a “loaner” and my original plan was to remove the guides, strip the white paint and relocate the guides more to my liking. I was also curious to check out the new AMTAK “proprietary” guides to see how they compared to the 3.5 Fuji’s that I normally use.
To make a long story short, I ended up stripping everything off of the blank, shortening it and I’ll build it back with split grip, split reel seat (Castaway) and I’m still undecided about reinstalling the Amtaks or using Fujis.
Btw, the blank itself seemed pretty decent and relatively light (1.24 oz @ 70”).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster