I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

braid to mono knots with micros
Posted by: sam harris (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: April 04, 2010 12:50PM

I'm looking for sugestions on the best knot to use to tye a mono leader to braid when useing micro guides, also is there a minimum size micro one should use for this?
Thanks in advance Sam

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: braid to mono knots with micros
Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: April 04, 2010 01:15PM

I use a double uni knot with mono and flouro up to 12#, and my braid is usually 10#, but some rigs have 20#. I usually use 20 to 30" of leader so I don't pass though guides. However, I did use a 6' leader with 10# braid once with 3mm guides and it works, but I would use 4mm if I did that very much.

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (72.166.145.---)
Date: April 04, 2010 01:18PM

I went with batson size 5 micro's for 30lb powerpro to 15 pound flouro uni to uni knot. I had a setup on my reel that I used for static testing once and realized that for my own use I had to go bigger.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 04, 2010 01:29PM

Sam,
If I am going to be running any knots at all, I dislike going any smaller than size 6.
Take care
Roger

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 04, 2010 02:04PM

Nothing smaller than a 6mm ring if running knots for me too.

DR

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 04, 2010 02:33PM

Sam
Email Mike Pederson at Riley rods (sponsor on left) he uses 3mm guides for his personal use and builds 4mm setups for others competing on the red fish circuits.

He personally uses a knot that allows him to stay with the slightly smaller guides, but builds with 4mm's for those who are a little sloppier with their tying

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.fll.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 04, 2010 02:34PM

Not really an answer but you might find the following article worth reading.

[www.sportfishingmag.com]

If I felt the need to have the knot go through the guides (and my guides were small so I couldn't double the line) I'd probably go with bristol, tony pena, or slim beauty.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: April 04, 2010 03:26PM

The Red Phillips knot is pretty darn small.

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: April 04, 2010 04:19PM

Either a double Centauri or a double nail knot easily pass through a 4mm micro. I use these all the time.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: April 04, 2010 04:45PM

Different manufacturer guide have different ID for same catalog size.

If you are seeking advice be sure the manufacturer, size and ring material are involved in the discussion.

I reccommend for all on top all same size micro.

Fuji LSG 3.5 SIC for all guides and lines with no knots -
This guide will pass a well trimmed Uni with 15# Fluoro/ 50# Braid tied where the line is up to speed when it reaches the butt guide.

Fuji Alconite 4.0 for Genereal Uuni knot passage -

Amtak 3.0 for all lines
Amtak 4.0 for Uni Knot passage.

I have used Baton 3.0 - 4.0 but have not experience with knot passage - ID smaller due to ring material.

I do not reccommend passing swivels, wire leaders, Bimini Twist knots or tag loops attached to line for beads and slip. corks.

Steve G. - are you going to the Virginea Elite event in Virgina next week?

This is absolutely wild - there are rods headed to the Elite Tournament next week for testing - all sixes all on top!

Who knows those may be named Maxi Micro!

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 04, 2010 06:34PM

Bill;
am not going.
Wish I was but right now all my time is being spent taking care of my wife till she recovers.
All 6's on top, now why didn't I think of that?

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.242.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: April 04, 2010 07:46PM

A "slim beauty" is close to a 100% knot and of no larger diameter than a figure-eight knot in your leader. It does not take much line to tie. The slim beauty is popular with guides in Florida. You can Google "slim beauty knot" for tying directions.

Posted by: didier stephan (---.34.93-79.rev.gaoland.net)
Date: April 04, 2010 08:18PM

Hello Sam.

You want to know the best knot to use to tye a mono leader to braid when useing micro guides ?
it will be the thinnest of course .

I use the FG knot since 5 years now , to connect 10lb PP to floro .
--> the thinnest.
-->the stronger ( it never break in the knot , before or after !)
-->not the easier ( not realy lool)

With the FG knot ( and many other japanes knot , named Friction Knot ) there is no knot with the floro/leader ! Only the braid is wrapped very very tight ( difficult to believe) .
So it is very thin .

But i need 5 minutes to tye it ( Now i can do it , in the nigth , on a boat ) and at first, 15 ' .....

[www.mysql.cc]

Try a search on youtube : FG knot / and SF knot ..... there are many different version ...

But with micro, even so , i guess it will hang .

D.Stephan.

Posted by: Christopher Tan (203.116.20.---)
Date: April 04, 2010 11:37PM

ditto on the FG knot..

been using it ever since i learnt it .. it transtions pretty nicely from mainline to leader with a bit of 'weaving' and half hitches to hold down.. never had a properly tied fg knot slipped on me.. the casting part is fine.. though the tag end, if not trimmed closely, may give you a slight issue on the retrieve.

-
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day..
Teach a man to fish, he'll be broke!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster