I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cork staining info.
Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: March 31, 2010 06:23PM

This the info I received from a US Cork supplier. They buy their Cork directly from Portugal.
Can you Stain Cork?
Thank you Bob Balcombe

Hello Bob,

Yes, cork can be stained using a waterbased wood stain.

How deep of a penetration will you get? Lets say I am dyeing cork rings for fishing rod grips
Thanks

The water based stain will penetrate about 2mm depending on the density of the cork.
Thanks,
Fay.

This should answer some questions on staining Cork rings

Good Wraps Bob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cork staining info.
Posted by: Walt Davenport (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 31, 2010 07:03PM

Thanks Bob; I've been wondering about this for a while and never got around to testing it for myself.

Walt Davenport
"Roadhouse Rods"

Date: March 31, 2010 07:24PM

With the stain only penetrating just the surface. I would think you still have to put a protective covering over the stain or it will ware off.

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Steve Johnson (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: April 01, 2010 04:24PM

I've never tried to stain solid natural cork but I made 2 grips about a year and a half ago out of red burl and I used custom tinted Minwax exterior water based to make them REALLY red and they've held up just fine through moderate use and very little care. I charged the guy about $10 extra to cover the whole cost of the stain and gave him the whole can for touch-ups but it hasn't been needed.

Steve

Date: April 01, 2010 05:03PM

I had some success tinting cork by taking feather dye mixed with water ,salt and a little vinegar. I put it in a canning jar and boil it and put the lid on it and wait for the lid to pop down. I guess I just canned cork. LOL I let it set for a week rinse off. buff till I get the right patina. and put a wipe on wipe off Urethane coat. It is just a big pain in the butt to do

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Richard Hahn (---.ssa.gov)
Date: April 01, 2010 05:13PM

Why not just vacuum seal them with the dye. That should draw the stain deep into the cork. Works with other stuff should work here

Date: April 01, 2010 05:28PM

Rich the cells of cork are so dense that if you use your method. You will still have to put the cork in boiling water to soften it or loosen the tight cell compaction. My wife would kill me if I used our vacuum sealer.So I use our old canner. I am sure your method should work if you soften the cork first. You know it is strange that know one in the cork industry has ever chimed in when cork is being discussed.

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 01, 2010 06:20PM

I have colored several with a watery mix of finish with a tint in it. Whip it on. let dry. Then seal

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster