I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finished rods
Posted by: brian neff (216.110.116.---)
Date: March 29, 2010 10:34AM

Well, I promised I'd post pictures when I finished them... Here's my write up.

During my 2.5 month exile to the mainland in dreary Michigan in the dead of winter (sigh), I managed to be productive. I built a pair of rods specifically designed for my kayak fishing wants.

First up, the beauty of building your own is that you can build them EXACTLY the way you want them. You don't need a reason for 'personal preference', you just build it to suit. So I wanted a pair of 8 ft, 2 pc rods. With a mid-fast action, and juuuuust enough flex in the tip section. But stout enough to use 30 pound line in a meaningful way - especially to set the hook on an wahoo or blackfin tuna while trolling plugs. I'm sick of loosing hooksets to my beloved ugly stick. BTW, Ever try to find a rod w/ those specs? It ain't easy, I honestly don't think one exists in pre-built form. I finally found a blank, a Batson Rainshadow SW967F. Google the blank and you'll find it used for everything from surf fishing to landing sailfish from a power boat. Great all around saltwater rods. And it comes in a 2 piece model! I think I paid ~$46/blank (crazy good deal).

So that's where the sanity and moderation stopped. I suppose if it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing. So here we go. The butt has a gimble. The idea is for the gimble to engage the gimble pin on my RAM tubes so I can troll w/ my reels pointing up toward the sky and as far as possible away from my paddle stroke and the surface of the water. IT WORKS. The handles are eva foam, but I layered in some colored foam discs for decoration. Sounds simple, but it was really time consuming. The reel seat is an Alps Triangle aluminum seat. They're the cat's SNUFFLEUPAGUS of reel seats. Sure I could have used a fuji, but if it's worth doing, it's worth over-doing. The guides are Alps too. They are tested to be free of any sign of corrosion in a salt spray for 6 months. Perfect. I agonized a bit but ended up going w/ the double-foot guides. They're heavier, but WAAAAAY more rigid and durable. The rings are zirconium coated w/ something cool (I think). They're not silicon dioxide (those were ~$35 for just the stripper guide!) But they're a cut or two above the general hard ceramic that most rods have. good enough. Oh, and the guide sizes are a bit bigger than what is 'recommended'. Just in case I ever run a swivel for a wind-on leader. And the alert rod builder may notice the stripper guide is 'backwards' compared to the other guides. That has its origins in the custom tuna stick scene & was explained to me on this board. Thanks guys. All guides got an underwrap (of course), size D Gudebrod thread & 2 coats of flex coat. If you're wondering about the missing guides on the blue rod tip section, I ran out of blue thread & had to reorder. My wife mailed the thread down to me and I'll finish that rod next week.

For decoration on the butt wrap, I ditched the manufacture-supplied sticker describing the blank and made a water-slide decal w/ customized text... "Built by B.N. for B.N. '10". On the other side of the blank from that decal, big shout out to Tight Lines Custom Rods for that one. I put a decal of a blackfin tuna (carib-shibi) on one rod and an ono on the other. On the back of the stripper guide (pun intended?) goes the previously-posted mermaid decal. It will be 'face up' when fishing w/ a spinning reel. The pictures I posted earlier each had a pretty bad wrinkle in the decal so I stripped them off and re-ordered a couple more and also a more user-friendly to install version from BillMar. (Un)fortunately the Bill Mar mermaid is identical in every respect, except she's wearing a bikini top.

So that's it. I wound up spending about $160 total for both rods. I was a little surprised how heavy the rods turned out. It's of no consequence, they're trolling sticks for the most part and I'll happily sacrifice durability for weight. And compared to the weight of my loaded Spheros 18000, rod weight is round-off error.

If these pics don't display, You can view the official slideshow in Photobucket... http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm279/Living-The-Dream_08/Kayak%20Rods/?albumview=slideshow

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finished rods
Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 29, 2010 10:39AM

beautifully done.

Posted by: Bill Davis (---.dr02.atmr.al.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 29, 2010 11:55AM

Very, very nice Brian. Thanks for sharing.

Bill

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 29, 2010 01:16PM

Please put the photos on the photo page instead of here on the forum. Thanks.

Posted by: Tom St.Blanc (---.hlrn.qwest.net)
Date: March 29, 2010 06:40PM

Very nice Brian. So you like a ten foot rod for a Kayak. I was thinking of making something for a friend, kayak fisherman, down in Fl. 10 ft. I like it. Your work is great!

Tom

Denver, CO

Posted by: Steve Zayas (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2010 10:14PM

Very nice where did you get the metal ring on the fore grip?

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 29, 2010 10:16PM

Very nice! I really like the idea of having your contact info on the top half of the rod.

jeremy

Posted by: brian neff (65.48.134.---)
Date: March 29, 2010 10:17PM

Hi Tom #1.
The pictures are actually on my photobucket account, linked to in the post with

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 30, 2010 08:41AM

You can post them on the photo page by selecting the photobucket URL of any photo.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster