I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

seal around reel seat
Posted by: Tony Woodruff (---.direcpc.com)
Date: March 27, 2010 10:49PM

I had a pacbay minima exposed reel seat I never used and well i used it, I need a pointer on what instrument to use for sealing up the edge on the hardest side so no water gets thru, its the model GMC165 spinning , [www.mudhole.com]

the inside curve degree is what I gotta do, Not the straight flat side where you simply stand the pole up right. I was thinking 5 minute epoxy so it would not have a chance to run on me, I will need to prop it just right so Im thinking I'd be better off holding the rod,lol also I guess a tooth pick might be the instrument to apply the expoxy? Its a heck of a tight area to get into.

If theres a better way let me know, cause this is all i can think of on how to do it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: seal around reel seat
Posted by: justin keithley (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: March 28, 2010 12:32AM

not sure where you're gap is there - but on most exposed seats i use rod bond everywhere and just clean it up with alcohol/paper towel.

Regards,
-Justin

Posted by: Phil Brenner (198.217.64.---)
Date: March 28, 2010 06:26AM

Same here, a gel or paste style epoxy like rod bond works great. I use the quickbond, smear it everywhere get everthing in place where i want it and then clean up with denatured alcohol.

Posted by: Charles Lechner (---.bankofamerica.com)
Date: March 28, 2010 08:40AM

The Minima reel seat should be ordered to a size that when it is slid into place fits pretty close to snug. There should be minimal gap left and any rod bond that seeps out just wipe off with DNA and a rag. I have used these 3 times now and love them.

If you have one that is much too loose when it is slid in place, well I would be more inclined to reorder one that is a better fit than to try to build up the gap. If you don't want to reorder, then I would bond the rear grip add a little extra rod bond where the seat and grip joint and extend the epoxy further out toward the tip of the rod only on the side that is between the rod and the seat and slide it into place so the trigger is facing up and let the extra epoxy seep out then wipe up as mentioned. Then just lay the rod down and put some weight on top of the blank to make sure all of the excess epoxy has been forced out and cleaned up and let it dry with the small amount of extra weight pushing the blank onto the reel seat. The biggest issue you have then is the seat will not be centered so just make sure when you bond the front piece on that it is off center by the same amount. You might want to use an old reel and make sure and bond it to the rod with the reel in place.

Would be a whole lot easier to have the right size and just bond and wipe up and you should see a clean seam between the rod and seat.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (207.118.60.---)
Date: March 29, 2010 03:15AM

I would call PacBay or Todd Vivan at MH

Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster