I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Custom grip shaping
Posted by: Steven Penzes (---.abhsia.telus.net)
Date: March 26, 2010 02:07PM

I have a co-worker who is an avid fly fisherman. Unfortunately he had an accident that resulted in quite a bit of nerve damage and now he has feeling and control issues in his index and middle fingers. He still wants to fish so other than learning to fish with his other hand I thought I'd explore the possibility of making a custom grip that would place his ring and pinkie fingers in a better position on the grip. The point would be to address additional leverage questions but more importantly, would allow him to strip the fly line through the last two fingers. Has anybody done anything like this? Any words of wisdom on material, how to create a sample grip to fine tune the final answer, changes of materials, dimensional changes, etc?
Thanks for any help
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Custom grip shaping
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 26, 2010 02:18PM

RodMaker Volume 10 #3 - the article on handle and grip ergonomics is the most important work ever to appear in the magazine. It addresses what is most often the weak link in any fishing rod - the grip/handle.

Posted by: James Hicks (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2010 06:16PM

A grip contoured to his hand could give better leverage to the other fingers. I think expanding polyurethane foam would be the way to go (check out Riley Rods in the sponsor list). I've only made a handful of these contoured grips but for what it's worth I've found that if you contour to the fingers too much then there is no room for shifting your grip and it gets uncomfortable after a short while. I like mine with just a slight rolling surface rather than big ridges and deep valleys. [www.rodbuilding.org] Keep in mind that the epoxy coating will try to level itself and whatever contours you have in the foam core will end up being reduced in the final grip. It may help to get some modeling clay, stick it onto a blank section shaped like a regular grip, and let your co-worker work the clay into what's comfortable for him. Then you can shape your foam like his model and adjust the ridges and valleys for epoxy leveling.

Posted by: Walt Natzke (12.22.21.---)
Date: March 27, 2010 03:19AM

It seems to me that you could also make one out of cork if you started with 1.5" rings.
After gluing up the rings, turn it down to the largest diameter that is smooth, then have him hold it in his hand and trace out the most comfortable positions for each finger.
Take a dowel and wrap it with 120 grit paper and slowly "file" out the sections where his fingers go, taking time for him to hold it and make adjustments as necessary.
Once this is done to his satisfaction, place back on the lathe and shape down to a more contoured grip layout, then repeat the process until satisfied with look and fit.
Final sand to 320 and you should be good to go.

Walt Natzke
Ripon, CA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster