I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Rod Balance issue
Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.244.212.41.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: March 27, 2010 08:55PM

The addition of mass anywhere on the rod change the frequency and amplitude of the vibration.
The vibration still has the same total energy but has been affected by the inertia of the rod components. As inertia goes up frequency goes down and amplitude goes up.
I believe we are better capable of "feeling" high frequency low amplitude vibration. Like the buzz of a cell phone is readily detected but the rythmic low frequency high amplitude of or own heartbeat goes completely unnoticed. By reducing mass the vibration frequency is kept higher increasing our perception of the strike. Adding mass to either end of the fulcrum has the same effect. The vibration is transimitted not to our hand directly but through the line to the tip top and through the fibers of the entire blank. Our hand feels the vibration of the blank through the grip. Stiffer lighter grips transmit that vibration more effectively. The idea is to maintain the high frequency low amplitude that we are sensitive to.

Eugene Moore

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Bob Balcombe (207.118.60.---)
Date: March 27, 2010 09:50PM

Steve every new rod/blank is a new trial. We all learn something new. I enjoyed reading and learned a few things from Eugene

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2010 09:54PM

Steve,
The hardness of the material has absolutely nothing to do with the velocity that vibrations travel up a rod. The velocity is a function of the mechanical impedance of the material. The mechanical impedance is determined by the elasticy and the mass density of the material. Though not absolutely correct you can think of the mass density as the weight per unit of length and the elasticity as the stretch in the material. When the mechanical impedance goes up, as when the vibrations go from carbon fiber to cork, the amplitude goes down but the velocity goes up. However, the velocity is irrevalent to you and me as fishermen because it is so high we can not detect it with our hands. The velocity in a vacuum is about 1000 ft./second. In carbon fiber it is almost 10 times that so obviously we cannot detect it with our hands.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.242.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2010 11:27PM

In the relatively little worm fishing I have done for bass I relied more on my sense of sight than my sense of touch, precisely as I do while nymph fishing. I watch for the line , not the rod, to move or stop moving. If I relied on "feel" to catch fish on nymphs the fish would be quite safe from me. Perhaps touch sensitivity is over emphasized in bass angling and a discussion of balance is of little importance.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2010 12:36AM

Eugene,
I missed your comment earlier, It is not really the stiffness or the total weight it is the mechanical impedance which is determined by the square root of the mass density times the elasticity.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2010 09:37AM

Emory;
Thank you for the correction on velocity not being influenced by hardness.
In your opinion does hardness effect how well vibrations are felt as in mono vs graphite?

And am I correct in that the greater the angle of the rod to the bait or bite of the fish the better those vibrations will be felt through the rod when retrieving said bait or detecting bite?

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (207.118.60.---)
Date: March 28, 2010 05:43PM

Sense I am totally ignorant, when it comes to advanced Mathematics and Physics. These post have started to make more sense and I see where a true application can be a factor. I, like Steve am a sight fisherman. In some cases I use what is called a strike indicator. Fry Fisherman use them. My hands are totally free of any real sensation from Diabetes Neuropathy disorder. My hands feel like they are being constantly being shocked or asleep.

Good Wraps Bob

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster